F115 2002 - Timing Belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F115 2002 - Timing Belt

I now have just gone over the 1,000 hours on my F115. I asked my mechanic about changing the timing belt and he said the it looks fine - no signs of wear and has never had one fail so no need to change it.

Yamaha obviously recommends changing at 1,000 for a reason but I also understand what my mechanic is saying.

Cheers Snelly

And the purpose of your post is????

Comment

Just looking for other peoples experiences, views and recommendations.

Comment

12 years and 1000 hours....a new belt is a no-brainer to me....you got very good service from that belt and it's past time for a new one....

Comment

The problem is that the F115 is an interference engine. Meaning that if the belt breaks the valves and the pistons will collide causing lots of expensive internal damage.

A belt is $54 dollars. Less than an hour to remove and replace it.

67F-46241-00-00 YAMAHA BELT

I would change the belt. You can't tell what the inside condition of the belt is by just doing a visual inspection.

As the advertisement goes, pay the man a bit now or pay the man a lot more later.

Comment

Cheap mechanical insurance

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
              And the purpose of your post is????
              To question the knowledge and experience of the manufacturer.

Comment

At US$54- and an hours labor - it's a no brainier for sure.

So I check the price over here

Belt $145-20 Tension-er $274- Spring $28-
                Last edited by JONSNELL; 12-01-2014, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Not sure where "over here" is but it apparently is not the US.

Boats.net makes export shipments. A belt does not weigh much so shipping should not be exorbitant.

There is normally no reason to remove and replace the tensioner and spring.

Comment

Just did a tally up

Off boats.net all up parts ( all three ) are US $184 and shipping would be US$50-.

On that basis I reckon I'm still way in front.

I'm in Australia

Comment

Get the belt done. Alternatives gonna make it seem real cheap and sensible.

Comment

I heard that in most of the case you need to change the tensionner. That add the cost by a margin.

I'm also in the same boat son next spring it will be a new belt, but I would like to know if the tensionner need to change habitually and if yes the cost. It's for a 2004 F150

Comment

First I have heard that the tensioner needs to be replaced. Who comes up with this stuff? It is certainly not a Yamaha recommendation.

Maybe go ahead and replace the flywheel while the belt is off.

Now Yam does tell their mechanics to be careful so as not to break the thing but that is all. Some pensioners will break easily if a backyardigan does not know what he is doing.

Comment

and this is the difference from those of us that do this for a living and those that post.
                            your f115 does not have a tensioner with fluid damping.

its a stupidly simple dirt reliable tensioner.

Comment

Rodbolt, is the f150 the same? Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X