Alarm Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alarm Problem

Hi, I have a 1999 60hp 2 stroke - C60TLRX. I just rebuilt the carbs and the motor was running fine. I decided to check the timing but I forgot to turn the water back on, so the alarm went off. I let it cool down and tried it again (with the water turned on), but the alarm keeps going off - the motor is getting very hot. I removed the thermostat and tested it in the sink and it opens and closes fine. The water from the tell-tale was not very hot at all, not sure if this matters, but it was coming out as it normally does. I searched for related posts but couldn't find much. Any help would be appreciated.

I would drop the lower unit and check the water pump for heat damage.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response, I'll try to get that done tomorrow.

Comment

You are going to need a water pump kit.

Comment

More than likely, a housing too
          look for signs of melting plastic

Comment

Good call guys, parts are on order.

Comment

I just installed the waterpump kit and the water coming out of the tell tale was even less than before. After a few minutes, the alarm went off again. I dropped the lower unit again and removed the waterpump housing but the insert cartridge stayed with impeller. I noticed that the cartridge fits loosely in the housing. Is this normal, or did I get a bad kit? or could there be another problem?
              Last edited by KayKatz...; 05-02-2020, 12:03 PM.

Comment

did you replace the housing like I said?

and what happened to the pieces that came off of the impellor?
                are they up inside the motor cooling passages?

have you pulled and tested the stat?
                Last edited by 99yam40; 05-02-2020, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Hi, yes it's a new housing. I tested the stat before I removed the lower unit. I blew compressed air - no restrictions at all from the tell tail to the pick up tube in the lower unit.

Comment

something is not allowing proper circulation of the water,
                    pull the stat again and check in there to see if you see anything behind it .
                    pieces of impellor may be hard to find in some places.
                    drop the lower hook up a hose to the tube into power head and flush with stat out.
                    also try injecting compressed air of and on to see if anything gets flushed out

Comment

Thanks 99, I'll give that a shot.

Comment

So I've been flushing the motor and just got 2 pieces of the old impeller out of the motor but it's still overheating. Can I safely remove the water inlet covers to see if anything is restricting water getting up to the pump? Or does that screw attach to any internal componetes?

Comment

You can remove that. Betting the blockage is higher up inside motor.

Comment

One Yam Master Tech has mentioned running motor with water attached and thermostat and thermostat cover removed. BRIEFLY... to blow crap loose. Maybe a slight rev of motor and then shut down to prevent overheat. Otherwise, things will need to be disassembled and cleaned out.

continued overheat will waste the motor

Comment

Thanks for the reply. The weather has been brutal up here in Ontario, so I haven't been able to spend much time on it. I'll post back in a few days.

Comment

Working...
                              X