Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F115- Prop issues? Fuel? Both?

Hi,
    First time on site so pardon me if Im posting incorrectly. Yesterday went out, and jumped up to plane, motor and ride was normal...for about 15 seconds. I noticed a slight vibration so went to idle. I went up to plane again and motor was really vibrating. Immediately stopped and checked everything out...Mounts etc looked fine and didn't see anything obvious. So tried to go on plane again. Now couldn't get enough power to get to plane. At that point I quit. We decided to keep fishing but just off my kicker motor...worked fine for awhile. At one point decided to ramp up speed on kicker and immediately choked out...took me about 5 minutes to get going again. I took fuel filter off and dumped fuel (into a container)....not clear container so couldn't tell if water in fuel mix...But that did seem to help as long as kept moving slow. We decided to limp back to ramp and call it a day. Once took boat out I noticed that prop had a slight wiggle to it. It was first trip of year...never hit anything. prop is in good condition...any ideas what's going on before i take to service? BTW I have a stainless steel prop if that matters... Im thinking its both the prop and fuel.

Thanks in advance for your help

is it the whole prop and shaft that wiggles?
    or is it just one blade that looks out of shape?

drain the VST and filters catching the contents in a clear container.
    and report back

Comment

Well just got to working on....the shaft does't wobble just the prop. Looks like the bushing(?) inside is compromised and I can move the metal inside of it...I can take a picture if you like .but prop looks brand new. No dings scratches etc. Im a bit miffed by that I haven't hit anything..the other issue...well lets just say I have a bit of water in system...So next question how do you get out? I have the 10 micron filter ...is there another way to get moisure out? another type of separator? chemical (i had been putting a fuel saver and ring saver in motor regularly...thanks for the help

Comment

need to know what kind of prop and hub you have.
        is it a pressed in rubber hub, or one you can change out yourself?

visible water in fuel filter or VST means the tank needs to be drained and cleaned or the free water in the bottom of tank will slosh around while running hitting waves or turning and getting slugs of water being pumped in to the motors filters and other components

Comment

well don't have a mfr listed on prop. But i do have the size. Ill research how to drain tank. It probably has 15 gallons in it

Comment

To get most of the fuel out, simply un-hook the fuel line to the engine, put the hose(with primer bulb) into a portable tank slightly below the main tank.

Prime and get the fuel flowing to the portable tanks.. You can see water in the bottom of the containers and can put that back in and continue to pump fuel / water out.

Depending on the size of your tank, remove the sending unit to access the inside of the tank(once empty). I've for smaller engines, stuffed a towel, (like a hand towel) but with rope or partially sticking out to grab it for removal). Stuff that in the tank, stiff wire helps move it about and that'll suck up any remaining water / fuel.. May have to repeat..

That, ^^^, or pull the tank, flip upside down, blow dry, towel, etc...

Your under cowl filter should have caught that water till filled... Did you happen to check it?

Re chemicals, I use K100: https://k-100.com/product-category/k100-mg/ with NON Ethanol fuel. Seems to work well and extends the life of the fuel.

If not installed, a separate fuel /water separator (with fuel filter) should catch most of the water. On mine, you can see any water and drain right there with no tools:

Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

thanks so much for all your help! I ended up taking into have the unit pumped flushed and new filters. I like the idea of a separate separate. Ill look into above. You also have the 10 micron filter between your separator and tank correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Rmoore7167 View Post
                thanks so much for all your help! I ended up taking into have the unit pumped flushed and new filters. I like the idea of a separate separate. Ill look into above. You also have the 10 micron filter between your separator and tank correct?
                I believe it's a 10 micron... Most larger vessels (with room), do have filters similar to the above.
                Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                X