Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broken Cavitation Plate Fix (((Advice Needed)))

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Cavitation Plate Fix (((Advice Needed)))

Hello guys,

I need some help. I have a broken cavitation plate on my F225 yamaha. I spoke with a mechanic about having it welded aluminum but he suggested that it will not me in best interest to do so.

So,......I was browsing the net and saw the aftermarket plastic fins which go on to the cav plate. What are your thoughts on this? Would this enhance performance or change the ride pattern of my boat? Please see attached pic. I think this would be my cheapest option. Having said this I don't notice any change of performance with this broken cavitation plate.

Any help or info greatly appreciated
    Attached Files

the welding shop and harbor welding do these repairs on a weekly basis here.

some hulls wont tolerate them ugly whale tale things.

all the anti ventilation plate does is assist the water surface tension so the prop cant suck air(ventilate) from the surface.

Comment

yep, agree, fixed a couple worse than that myself, although it looks ugly, probably wont make a lot of difference to the boat at all as it is.

Comment

If you're seeing any problems, don't worry about it. If anything, you might only notice an issue at high speed and trim. But welding is the proper repair. Besides, you may not even be able to mound a fin, given where they usually mount and what's missing. Even if you could, the mounting holes may be too close to the missing areas, and another hole could weaken the area and then you would end up losing more of your plate. Whatever you decide, I don't think I would use a fin.
        2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
        1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Working...
        X