No announcement yet.

2004 90hp hard starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The label to which I am referring is shown below. The one that provides the serial numbers only. That when added to the model prefix, together with the shaft length letter, make up the complete engine identification.

In the case of Tuna the numbers found on his alternate ID label are 1015424. Add to that his model prefix 6H1 (90 two stroke), and the shaft length letter of L, and the complete engine ID is 6H1L 1015424. This ID shows up in Yamaha's data base as a 90TLRC model. Which agrees with what the OP is seeing on the primary data plate.

Comment

Thanks boscoe99 thats exactly what I have, that's the same exact sticker thats on my motor, with my serial number. I'm not sure what to do, it appears I have a one of a kind motor. I'm going to see what I can do to add a manual choke cable. The engine has started fine when the weather was warmer but with a few mornings in the 50's has been the problem, so this will be the action I will take. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Originally posted by tuna5589 View Post
        I could send pix's but can't figure out how to do. If it is an earlier motor how were the choke plates hooked up to operate on them and couldn't this be done?
        To post pics once you hit reply drop down to
        Additional Options

and then click on
        Manage Attachments

You can down load from your computer or from web
        Size is limited

Comment

most of thoses stickers are long gone, the 98 model 90 in my yard that I was working on until the rains came, does not have one.

look carefully at the blue/red and blue/white wires in Boscoe's picture.
          that is the CPS.
          if your motor has this CPS someone has frankenstiend the carbs and possibly the intake manifold.

if your does NOT have the CPS its been frankenstiend with a different powerhead and the sticker moved.

the 91 and prior models used a choke and no CPS.

92 and up all used prime start and a CPS.
          yep its that simple.

subtle differences in harness's,ign types and even carb types can clue one into about what series it was.

the 92 and up engine harness has no provision for a choke but does have a bullet connector female socket on the green stator wire to plug in the electro thermal valve.

the 91 and older do not have this socket but DO have a blue wire in the engine ten pin harness.

the 92 and up ign system will NOT work without the CPS.

Comment

Working...
          X