yamaha 115 hydraulic motor stiff steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yamaha 115 hydraulic motor stiff steering

We recently purchased a 1992 Proline with a 1992 Yamaha 115 hydraulic steering. The steering on the boat is EXTREMELY stiff. We have tried lithium grease and PB Blaster on the pivot points on motor but it hasn't helped. Anybody have any ideas?? Thanks.

If you can ( big if ) pull the sliding steering rod out and clean it good. If that does not do it you may need the whole cable. Worked for me several times.

Comment

He said he has hydraulic?, first things first, disconnect the steering from the motor and try to turn the wheel, and move the motor by hand to determine what is tight! The motor will be damn tight to make hydraulic steering heavy.

Comment

+1^^^.

Sounds like the steering ram at the engine or upper hydralic unit is failing. Any excessive exterior corrosion on either? Trying to determine if the boat was taken care of, rinsed of salt water, etc...

Disconneting the engine from the steering will help pin point the issue.

Check what hydralic lines you can get to and make sure their NOT kinked as well.. I'm not sure if you have a drain at the ram but draining some fluid into a container to check its condition might be worthwhile..

There are companies that re-build the units....
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by dngharvey View Post
          If you can ( big if ) pull the sliding steering rod out and clean it good. If that does not do it you may need the whole cable. Worked for me several times.
          They make a nut with an O-ring and grease fitting that goes on the end of the engine steering part where the SS shaft comes out and goes in;

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/steer...guard-7-8.html

It keeps water out and once greased, grease in. With that nut installed (and greased occassionally, you'll NEVER have issue with that cable again.

I have the original steering cable on my 18 year old Angler 204 (with that nut installed when new) and steers very easily. Learned about that nut after the steering seized up on my previous boat(W/O the nut)...
          Scott

Comment

OK, I repeat, he said he has HYDRAULIC steering. Now we must assume he does indeed have hydraulic, so any suggestions about the cable are useless to him.

Comment

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
              OK, I repeat, he said he has HYDRAULIC steering. Now we must assume he does indeed have hydraulic, so any suggestions about the cable are useless to him.
              If you read post #4, MY POST, I agreed with you, I know its hydralic steering, I addressed that.

The steering nut info was for dingharvey as an FYI..
              Scott

Comment

OK, I just re-read my post and it does seem like I am yelling at someone, I was trying to point out to anyone else, that he does not have cable steering, please accept my apologies for yelling!! (well appearing to be cranky)

Comment

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
                  OK, I just re-read my post and it does seem like I am yelling at someone, I was trying to point out to anyone else, that he does not have cable steering, please accept my apologies for yelling!! (well appearing to be cranky)
                  No problem, just two birds with one stone!!
                  Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                    If you read post #4, MY POST, I agreed with you, I know its hydralic steering, I addressed that.

The steering nut info was for dingharvey as an FYI..
                    And I thank you for that! Already purchased two and they are installed on both of our Yammies.
                    I did not notice the hydraulic part at first, but still could be that steering arm.

Comment

Originally posted by dngharvey View Post
                      And I thank you for that! Already purchased two and they are installed on both of our Yammies.
                      I did not notice the hydraulic part at first, but still could be that steering arm.
                      Your welcome.

Keep that nut greased and you won't have any more steering issues...

Its been on my boat, salt water use, 17 years, steers like new! (all original)

Hopefully the OP will update us if the issue..
                      Scott

Comment

Working...
                      X