Trim Tilt Gauge not registering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim Tilt Gauge not registering

Hello all knowing Yamaha board-hope all is well considering these times.

I have Twin Yamaha F200XBs (Mechanical non-Digital) motors. I have the Command Link gauge (6YC) and my last trip the Trim Tab indicator is showing the trim in the lowest position "1-Bar" for both motors. The trim works via the Throttles, the dash Trim switches and from the motors themselves but the Trim indicator doesn't adjust on the Command Link display.

I have searched and not able to find the issue. Does anyone know or can send me a link to review?

In the past I have had one of the motors trim up on its own once and I changed out the Trim relay and that worked like a charm. This issue is weird because everything seems to work except the Digital display reading.

First, visually inspect the trim sender on the bracket. It could be stuck or broken. If you can follow the wires into the boat, there should be a disconnect - take them apart and check for resistance to change in accordance to someone manually moving the sender. This should tell you if the issue is with the sender (failed, for example) or the issue is further upstream.

Now, just for fun... my display has never worked as log as I have owned the boat. BUT... if I manually move the sender arm, the display works just fine... but when the engine moves it - no good! Weird.

But... I really don't care. For the most part, the display is not helpful, anyways. The conditions dictate where to move the engine (by feel). Which means under different conditions... and to "cruise" for example... the engine will be at different heights, anyways. Besides, if I turn my head, I can see the engine.
    Last edited by DennisG01; 04-06-2020, 09:52 AM.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Strange to have one tilt all by itself.
      A friend said he had his one and only motor move all by it self in the past, but when I was on a trip with him and his motor started to tilt when
      he was not calling for it to do that(I could hear the T&T motor run) one of his dogs was laying on the front deck and was putting pressure on the T&T button up there.
      the dog did that twice on that trip.

now since you have 2 motors and they both do not show and they use to, either the settings got changed some how, or something common has happened to both of them
      broken senders or wiring maybe

Comment

Thank you. Its weird that both Senders from both motors could be broke or not sending. On the 6YC both trim tab indicators are at the same 1 Bar indication basically the motors trimmed down.

I can feel the difference when running the boat I just like to monitor gauges as bench marks and I am a maintenance freak---the second something goes wrong i fix it....

Thank you...

Comment

Wait... I just realized you said "trim tab" indicator. Are you referring to the trim tabs, or do you mean the engine trim?

Comment

Sorry I meant Engine TILT.....not Trim tabs--My bad...

Answer this though please...how is it that both Motor trim Indicators on the Yamaha 6YC gauge are at the 1 bar setting? Both Trim sender brackets stuck or broke?

Comment

The trim position sender has a moveable arm which is 'spring loaded' -
              the motor forces the arm down,
              but when the motor is tilted back up,
              the arm has to come up by itself, via that spring.

Its quite common for the arm / that spring to "get sticky"
              so that the arm doesn't move up,
              and the gauge of course always reads full down.

A little WD-40 spray and some "physical therapy" -
              working the arm, by hand, to loosen it up
              usually resolves the issue.

btw, the trim position indicator has absolutely nothing to do
              with the mechanism that makes the engine trim & tilt,
              or it's relay.

Comment

Yep thanks very much for that---I think I deduced that is what it is and will tackle it this weekend...appreciate the help very much!

Comment

Originally posted by Knot2Shabby View Post
                  Answer this though please...how is it that both Motor trim Indicators on the Yamaha 6YC gauge are at the 1 bar setting? Both Trim sender brackets stuck or broke?
                  Yeah, it's a bit of stretch. But worthwhile to check the simple things, first. I don't know much about "re-setting" the gauge and I don't have any first hand experience with that gauge (I have the older style). But I would take a look in the manual and see what it talks about in regards to the trim display. If you didn't keep the original manual, try googling for it - I'm sure it's out there somewhere! With that type of display, I would imagine there is some type of "learn" or "initialize" setting.

Comment

90hp 2 stroke trim/tilt ...no answers! Help!!
                    Yamaha 90HP 2 Stroke (1997 TLRV)

In preparation for boating attempted to raise motor by tilt/trim switch. Motor sounded but could not lift engine. Was able to lift the engine by hand while pressing ‘up’ switch and safety locked in place.(also used the manual screw on side) The ‘down’ command resulted in no movement but ‘clicking’ at the relay area. Checked the hydraulic fluid which appeared full and tried to add Yamaha fluid but it was too full to take anymore. Did not help the problem.
                    Researched Youtube and checked the relays with a 12 volt light tester. The red terminal showed positive. So did the blue and green terminals. This suggested a bad tilt/trim motor. Replaced with a DB Electric model which had good reviews. After installation- no difference.
                    Went back to investigating the relays. Connected the blue grommet to the red power and no response. Same with green. Tried connecting green (down) to blue terminal- no response.
                    More online research came across a comment that the relay terminals may show voltage but may not have enough amps. ???? Should the relay unit be changed?
                    (also ran across a reference to a little switch behind the main swivel that can get stuck. Found nothing like that but did find a light weight plastic ‘sleeve’ that easily spins around by touch. I do not think this is involved.

Comment

Working...
                    X