Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle issues with F40TLR

Hello,

I have recently acquired a 2006 F40TLR. the carbs were quite plugged up.
    I spent many hours cleaning out the carbs. air / fluid now passes through all passages in all 3 carbs(accelerator pump passages were fun)

#1 carb (top) bowl was corroded inside accelerator pump bore, this was cleaned up, but required replacing check ball and making new brass plugs. I have a new bowl on the way.
    I also acquired 3 rebuild kits, not installed yet though.

I am having a persistent miss on #1 at idle only, ie removing plug wire has no effect

swapped plugs on 1 / 2 no change
    swapped coils 1 / 2 no change

vacuum behind all 3 carbs is very similar on a set of gauges
    compression cold is about 110 - 115 psi

if throttle opened a bit, #1 kicks in.

so I am fairly confident on ignition working
    Have had on water once and runs on throttle fairly well, console on boat blocks full throttle on con*****er, still rigging up boat.

if I unplug fuel line at motor, after a few minutes, #1 kicks in until gas runs out in bowl.

if I let extra air in vacuum test port on #1 it also starts running at idle

all this leads me to think #1 is getting way too much fuel at idle

I can screw the idle mix screw on #1 all the way in to no effect

is the assumption of too much fuel sound?

any other test i can do to nail this down?

i have heard a lot about these engine with plugged up carbs, i seem to have reverse on one.

I am waiting for new bowl, i will install all rebuild kits at that time.

as a side note, what is the hose assembly going from plate in between carb and #1 and to all 3 carbs do, just curious what its for.

Thanks for any help,
    Matt

Sync carbs / linkage?
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I Have adjusted carbs such that vacuum is the same at idle on all 3, this is what I understand syncing to be, or am i wrong

Comment

service manual should have link and Sync procedures for your motor., need to follow them every time you put the carbs back on

the F40 was a problem child with the lean jets put in to meet air pollution standards

Comment

looking at manual, it seems there needs to be small pressure differences between carbs. just got new carb bowl in, time to do rebuild kits.

i wonder if not synced correct if all primestart fuel could end up in #1 (its the one with primestart solenoid) and cause rich miss

Comment

Working...
          X