Yamaha 9.9 F9.9SH - No Spark, Need Help with Diagnosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 9.9 F9.9SH - No Spark, Need Help with Diagnosis

First time poster - looking for help on diagnosing an '87 9.9 four stroke with no spark. Had the engine since new. About 15+ years ago, I found an early 90's 9.9 and swapped over the electric start and carb from that engine to replace the problematic thermal carb in the original engine and gain electric start. It ran great for years, but pulled it out of the water ~4 years ago and it sat on the trailer. Fast forward to today and trying to get it back in service but not getting any spark at either plug. I have the SELOC manual and have been going through the troubleshooting section, but need help in interpreting the results:

First, disconnected the white wire to the kill switch. No change, so I believe that rules out the kill switch.

Next, checked the Pulser coil. W/R to B yields 217.7 ohms, which is just out of the 173-211 range in the manual. I did the dynamic check by putting the DVM on AC volts across the W/R and B wires and saw 0.3VAC while cranking the starter. Spec is 4V no load, so this seems suspicious.

Next checked the Charge coil: Br to Blue yields 347 oms, which is outside of the spec for the 84-90's (569-625) but in spec for 91-95 (280-420). Dynamic test while cranking, no load yielded 83 VAC, which is also out of spec (95V no load). One question I had on the dynamic test for both coils is whether simply cranking the motor with the starter is sufficient to get the prescribed values in the table or does the engine have to be running? The reason I mention two different spec ranges is that I vaguely recall pulling the flywheel when I did the swap, and I may have swapped the coils at that time, but I just can't remember for sure. Sucks getting old

Next the ignition coil. The orange/black primary winding measured 0.4V which is out of spec (84-90 = 0.09-0.12 ohms, 91-95 = 0.08-0.11 ohms) . Measuring the secondary coil resistance across the two spark plug caps showed an OPEN. Spec is 2890-3910 ohms for 84-90 and 3485-4715 for 91-95. I assume I am measuring this correctly across the two spark plug caps, the manual was not crystal clear on this.

It seems like I have several readings that are out of spec. Making an assumption that not everything is bad, I'm wondering where to start? My first inclination is the ignition coil, since it shows an open when measured between the two spark plug caps. I realize that I could have a bad cap or bad wire, but it looks like the wires are glued into the coil and I am not sure how to remove the spark plug ends from the wire?

Looking for some suggestions/advice from the experts on next steps before I start throwing parts at it!

Thanks,
    John

Following up on my own post, I figured out how to remove the spark plug caps from the end of the wires and checked the resistance from wire to wire. Reading 4K ohms, which is basically in spec. When I check continuity across both ends of the caps I am getting an open, so sounds like this may be the first place to start. They were NGK parts, so I was able to find them on line and order them from an NGK supplier.

Comment

Strange two plug caps to be bad at once. Did you find any corrosion in the plug caps or the plug wires where the caps screw on??

Comment

I agree it seems kind of strange. I did not see any real obvious corrosion and boat is used exclusively in fresh water. I checked both caps multiple times, ensuring that I had good contact between the DVOM probes and the internal ends of the caps, and it continued so show as an open. When I put the probes in the bare wire ends after removing the plug caps I got 4K ohms ever time. The NGK caps were only $8.75 each, so it will be relatively inexpensive experiment as a first step.

Comment

I would have tried putting the old caps back on and measuring just to see if it was corrosion at that connections

Comment

The old caps were definitely bad. They were not dirty, but cleaned them anyways and could never get any resistance (always an open) even measuring the two ends of the cap (no wire). The new caps showed 5K ohms resistance as a bare cap, just like the spec on the box (they are resistor caps). When both caps were installed on the wires, I was showing 14 KOhms from cap to cap.which is what what I would expect since the wire measured 4K Ohm and each cap was 5 K Ohm.

So back to the drawing board. Any suggestions on what to try next?

Comment

I would be testing peak voltages into and out of the CDI if that thing has a CDI

Comment

Thanks! - it does have CDI. Will check the manual to see what reading I should be getting.

Comment

Working...
                X