Internal Circlip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal Circlip?

When I came out to the boat yesterday, I found this on the ground under the motor.
    Motor is a 2002 90 HP TLRA 2 stroke.
    It looks like an internal circlip, ID measures about 1-3/16”. OD I am guessing about 1-1/2” and about 1/16” thick. If it is a clip then it looks to be rusted in half.
    The boat is garaged and nothing else is ever parked there or runs over that area. Other than the motor, I have no idea where else it could have come from. I have looked at all the parts diagrams in the workshop manual, and on Boats.net. I can’t find anything remotely like it.
    Does anyone have any ideas that might help me find where it could have come from?
    I would hate to have something major fall off when I’m out on the water.
    2002 KW 1720

I've had my 1999 C90 Yamaha 2 stroke since new and that piece of circlip doesn't look familiar to me .....maybe came from some other piece of machinery?

Comment

Doesn’t look like an internal circlip but an external one judging from that lug on the outside; so it probably did not have come from a tilt and trim piston, but rather I’m thinking from the steering pin arrangement although there should be evidence of grease.
      Have a close look if the paint, that I think I can see, if it matches the paint of the rest of the motor. If it does you will need to look deeper at the end of the steering tube around the engine mount above the gearbox.
      Probably doesn’t pose a risk as petty sure that area “sealed tight with rust”. And you might not get a new one back in there without dismantling a lot of the engine.
      Last edited by zenoahphobic; 04-02-2020, 09:04 PM.

Comment

It's definitely not an internal clip - the outer perimeter of internal clips are smooth, to fit into the groove - that one would not.

I'm actually wondering if it's even a circlip - where is the "hole" in the tab to insert the circlip tool.

But... you've got the general size of what it attaches to, in some way - can't be too many external things on the motor of that size. I would physically look at the motor, rather than in diagrams.

What else is in the garage that could have something that size? It could sprung off and bounced over, underneath to the motor.
        2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
        1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

I believe it is off his engine transom bracket somewhere???

Google " Circlip Yamaha Outboard" and look at the "images" results. You will see very similar clips come up.

For example:

https://www.crowleymarine.com/parts/441620.cfm

Comment

Pan, you're right - it looks exactly like that. Appears to be some type of "locking" clip - never seen that before, myself, so I have zero more to add on this - other than it still must be an external type.
            2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
            1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Part #10. Goes on the lower end of the "steering bracket assembly" :

https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...tlra/bracket-2
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

That's it Scott. Where have you been lately?

Comment

And it fits over the spline steering rod, that will be seen through the gap and maybe obscured by grease and muck. Probably would require some good tool improvisation to get a new one on there without a lot of dismantelling of the engine and it’s mounting bracket.

Comment

You guys are awesome.
                    I did look at that part in the diagrams on Boats.net, even blew the diagram up, and it shows a normal type circlip.
                    I never did a visual check on the part number itself, that was dumb of me.
                    Too late to check the motor now, but I will look in the morning.
                    Thanks a bunch.
                    2002 KW 1720

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                      That's it Scott. Where have you been lately?
                      Just watching/listening...
                      Scott

Comment

You were correct. When I looked this morning, I could see the groove, and there was no circlip present.
                        But I doubt with that much corrosion, and even without a circlip, that the bracket would drop off.
                        In fact if I wait long enough, maybe it will help and start it moving.
                        Problem is there is not much steering tube left to hold a new circlip.

IMG_1626.JPGIMG_1632.JPG
                        2002 KW 1720

Comment

It's not going anywhere with that rust..
                          Scott

Comment

Working...
                          X