Gearbox stuck in gear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox stuck in gear.

Hi. Replaced the impeller on my 2010 40hp 4 stroke outboard. The gear box is stuck in gear. With the gear box removed I can move the gear selector spline sticking up out of the gearbox left and right and returning to the centre which I believe is neutral, but still in gear. Any one had this problem?

That's right, the middle position is neutral. I haven't had this issue on mine.. it seems more common in the older engines with the push up/down style gear selector.

I would at least make sure that the shifter on the control box is in neutral, and then take a look at the linkage to make sure the markings all line up properly. It's possible there's something wrong inside the gear case (with the shift plunger), but if this all started after you removed the lower unit, then I would look upward from the shift cam (and not inside the gear case). Also if you can have someone move the shifter between F/N/R, you can hold the shift rod receiver (in the upper casing) to make sure it's actually turning.

If everything looks ok there, try shifting to either forward or reverse before putting the lower unit back on.
    2011 F50TLR, 2010 G3 V167C

Comment

Originally posted by Basshunter View Post
      Hi. Replaced the impeller on my 2010 40hp 4 stroke outboard. The gear box is stuck in gear. With the gear box removed I can move the gear selector spline sticking up out of the gearbox left and right and returning to the centre which I believe is neutral, but still in gear. Any one had this problem?
      I believe those lowers are spring loaded to forward, you have to over come spring pressure to get to neutral and to reverse.
      protect the shaft splines with a rag or something and grab it with a plyers and turn, you should feel a detent when you get to neutral

Comment

Thanks for the replies, the problem has now been resolved.

Comment

tell what you found, it will help others if they find your post in the future

Comment

Originally posted by Basshunter View Post
            Thanks for the replies, the problem has now been resolved.
            How did you fix it bud? I have the exact same problem..

Comment

Working...
            X