Fuel gauge not working on Yamaha 300 hp engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel gauge not working on Yamaha 300 hp engines

I have dual 2013 Yamaha 4stroke engines on my Grady White. As part of these we have the Ymaha 6Y9 Multifunction Color Gauge. On this gauge, we cannot get a fuel reading. It just flashes on empty, yet we have a full tank. The manual provides no troubleshooting help. All other aspects of the gauge work fine. Can someone help?

Has it always been like this? If not, when did it start?

Comment

Would this be a warranty issue?
      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

its all free and warrenteed,
        unless its the grady white fuel sender that's bad.
        or the minimum wage rigger failed.

Comment

I would "think" (hope) that if the problem was on Grady's side, that they would cover it, too - but I don't know their warranty specs. Peter - what's the warranty on your boat? Either way, I would take it right back to Grady (assuming you bought it as a package from Grady). Grady is a good company and I'd be really surprised if they didn't take care of it.

You could, if you wanted to, though, check some simple things such as electrical connections at the gauge and the sender.

Maybe even a call to your dealer would help - maybe there is a "reset" that you can perform with the gauge? I have no idea if there is as I'm not familiar with that gauge - just that most new-fangled gauges ALWAYS require me to go to a manual or call for help!

It'd be easy if it was a "traditional" fuel gauge. Does anyone know if you can do the "sender wire to ground" at the tank "test" with this gauge?
          Last edited by DennisG01; 11-08-2014, 10:43 AM. Reason: clarification
          2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
          1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

I just had the same problem with the command link plus gauge, in my case the ground coming from the gauge must be grounded to a buss, not just connected the the sending unit ground. when I installed mine I connected the pink and black wire to the red and the black wire on my sending unit and it would not work, adding a ground to the buss bar and it works now, there are also settings in the gauge to choose what sending unit you have,

Comment

Fuel gauge issue

Thanks for replies. Am taking to Grady Dealer since its under warranty.

Comment

wiring

It will be a simple fix as previously mentioned, the black and pink wire should have the black wire connected to ground and problem should be fixed as the fuel tank isn't grounded.

Comment

Working...
                X