2001 Yamamerc 115 Four stroke "missing" problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Yamamerc 115 Four stroke "missing" problems

Ok, let me start with, I've had this boat to a couple good mechanics. The issue is, getting the engine to really mess up. You have to run it WOT on the water before you can make it happen.... so... Here's what's going on

Start the boat, misses a little, eventually warms up and runs fine. Idles amazing once warm. will ***** while snagging at 5-800RPMS all day really, no issue. but.... Run it WOT back to the boat ramp, drop it down to idle, boom, it starts missing. Starts up perfect every time right after. Stuff I've replaced

New low pressure pump
    VST had a boot corroded, cleaned out, replaced the boot. (Mitsubishi Lancer HP fuel pump at autozone has the exact same pump and grommit)
    new injectors
    had a cracked inline fuel filter, fixed that
    water separator, changed
    fuel line with primer bulb changed (not entire fuel line. my tank is at the front of the boat, runs all the way under the floor with an truck like fuel line to the back)
    and had the valves adjusted (they were out of adjustment, caused a bad read on a leak down test, adjusted and leak down was perfect.)
    and last but not least, last mechanic took off and found the IAC valve was failing, although the scanner did not show it failing.

both mechanics I took it to have said that it is an electrical issue now. They have ruled out fuel because the fuel pressure remains good during miss. last mechanic settled on the IAC valve, and I don't believe had the time to take it back on the river due to flooding to retest it. Took it snagging ,caught our 10 fish, ran it back to the ramp, 32MPH with 5 guys, gear and 10 fish and I didn't push it at all. could have easily seen 35 if I trimmed it up a little. the boat is a 2272 Seaark, so those numbers really aren't bad for as full as the boat was. It really runs well... It just misses after running back. It died twice, but fired right back up and then went back to idling perfect.

Could I have a coil getting hot??? what do you all think

now, I don't have the money to repower the boat yet, but I basically stole the boat and definitely can repower it and still be fine on price.. after all the repairs I'm literally in it about $10,000 and I can't find one for less than $15,000. the plan right now is to run it till it quits regardless, probably add a kicker motor to get me back the day that happens, but I am wondering if it's just a coil or something. What do you all think???

testing things while it is missing would be the only way to find out.
    spark should be east to test with a spark tester or a timing light, moving to the different plug wires to see if one of more is loosing spark

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      testing things while it is missing would be the only way to find out.
      spark should be east to test with a spark tester or a timing light, moving to the different plug wires to see if one of more is loosing spark
      I will do that. Just wasn’t sure if that sounded “plausible”. Here’s my thoughts on it, if it’s something common that breaks, and I’m likely to need to fix it anyways, I might as well start fresh. That’s why I replaced what I have. All of the parts I’ve replaced are common to be broken. Parts I probably would need to fix regardless. Im basically asking if a coil is one of those parts, and of those symptoms sound like they could be a coil.

Comment

Working...
      X