Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guide, Damper Seal

Hi All,

I'm replacing the impeller on my 2012 yamaha 70hp engine. Adjacent to the impeller is a rubber damper seal. Mine was not seated correctly and upon removal I found lots of what I assume to be dried salt. As I scraped this all away I found a hole in the center of the cavity which houses the rubber seal.

My questions are:
    1. Is the hole there from the start and just got plugged with salt crust or did the salt eat a hole in the metal?
    2. Looking at the schematic there is supposed to be a metal "guide seal damper" in that cavity which the rubber sits on. I saw one post where someone complained they always rust out so they stopped installing them. I did not find one and unclear if I should order one and delay reassembly.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Attached Files

from what I remember on my C40TLRX that is the seal guide just pop it up and out and replace it with new one

Comment

The guide seal damper is still there...it is the piece with the hole corroded through it shown in your picture. It is simply a L shaped piece of aluminum that fits down into the slot and the rubber damper seal sits on top of it.

You have a fair bit of corrosion going on there, it might be a good time to clean it up and prime the bare surfaces with zinc chromate to slow it down some.

That piece should be shown in the parts diagram for your engine. Look at item #12 in this diagram for a 2012 F70. I am not sure if this is your exact model so check it out yourself..
      https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...casing-drive-1

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
        The guide seal damper is still there...it is the piece with the hole corroded through it shown in your picture. It is simply a L shaped piece of aluminum that fits down into the slot and the rubber damper seal sits on top of it.

You have a fair bit of corrosion going on there, it might be a good time to clean it up and prime the bare surfaces with zinc chromate to slow it down some.

That piece should be shown in the parts diagram for your engine. Look at item #12 in this diagram for a 2012 F70. I am not sure if this is your exact model so check it out yourself..
        https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...casing-drive-1
        I was thinking it was a not a F70 since he never said it was a F 70 , but I guess that does not matter.
        depends on where he and the motor is or was made for
        seems they all have the
        guide seal damper that is replacable
        Last edited by 99yam40; 03-26-2020, 06:12 PM.

Comment

I'm so glad I posted here. I had no idea that the corroded area was in fact the guide damper seal. I thought this was an integral part of the lower unit and the guide went into that area, but was missing. So I should be able to pop this out and simply replace with a new one? Gonna see if I can pop it out now.

Thanks everyone for the help

Comment

Working...
          X