Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• partnrs steering shaft bushings

Hi everyone,

This winter I will reduce play in the vertical steering column by replacing the 2 bushings.
    However I've found 2 partnumbers.

90386-38M32-00
    90386-38M89-00 (which 'replaces' the one above ?)

I got info from someone who says the last one replaces the one above.
    And it's true as in being the new bushing in more recent engine types, but I'm not sure the new type would fit my old engine.

32 -> 1990 200ETLD Yamaha Outboard BRACKET 1 Diagram and Parts
    89 -> 2006 and Later VF200LA_01 Yamaha Outboard BRACKET 2 Diagram and Parts

What's their mechanical difference and more importantly which one do I need ?
    I know the old 32 is a nylon for sure.
    Would I need any other parts for this job ?

My engine is a 1991 200hp 2stroke V6 2.6litre
    Mod nr : 200CETO
    Serial nr : 61HL30074

Thanks for help !
    T.

If you have a 91 2 stroke why are you looking at parts on a 2006 and newer 4 stroke parts diagram and a 1990 2 stroke diagram?

Comment

I am confused.

Comment

I couldn't find that engine model # here. Are you outside the US?

I did put in the year(1999), HP(200), (for a different model) and the first part # you listed is correct.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...201/parts.html

We need more info re the model # or where the engine is from..
        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-05-2014, 09:10 PM.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

A 200CETO is the equivalent to a US P200TLRS/T.

Where I am was confused is that the item numbers he listed do not correlate to bushings. Then too, he was referencing a four stroke model which has no bearing on his motor.

But, he does have the bushing part number supercession correct.

Comment

Hi everyone!

Concerning the modelnumber :
            I'm European and live in Belgium. So I guess this engine is European.
            I had issues with the modelnr of my engine before as it doesn't match Yam model guide number logic which can be found on the net.
            So far I wasn't sure if it's a '90 or '91.

If I look at Yamaha Model Guide I would say it's a '91 as the serial starts with "61H"
            I just reviewed a exploded view I got from my Yam dealer a few years back. It states :
            Model Name : 200CETO
            Model Type Code : 61H
            Model Year : 1991
            Destination : CANADA

Being European the destination seems strange to me, but I should go by this dealerinfo my engine being a '91 (off course 2.6L 2 stroke V6)
            Maybe you guys can confirm this, what comes up in your Yam dealer software ?

"A 200CETO is the equivalent to a US P200TLRS/T." -> that's great info Boscoe, thanks !
            I see the US equivalent is a '94, but that doesn't matter to me as long as all the partnrs are the same

Concerning the partnrs :

Sorry for the confusion in my first post, I shortened the partnrs, my bad !
            partnr"32" short for -> 90386-38M32-00 : itemnr 46 1990 200ETLD Yamaha Outboard BRACKET 1 Diagram and Parts
            partnr"89" short for -> 90386-38M89-00 : itemnr 12 2006 and Later VF200LA_01 Yamaha Outboard BRACKET 2 Diagram and Parts

Some internetpage told me i would need the newer partnr "89" but I was sceptical, hence this thread.
            The diagrams I listed just refer to 200hp engines, I wasn't even aware the 2006 was 4-stroke

Townsend -> you say I need 90386-38M32-00
            Boscoe -> you say I need the 90386-38M89-00 ("supercession")

I'm going with what Boscoe says, please correct me if I'm wrong.
            Any info on what exactly is the difference ?
            As said I know the older style is nylon, so I'm wondering if the newer partnr is an other type of material.

If I change the bushings, would I need other parts also ?
            As said this is going to be a winter project for me, so I have I bit time to prepare this...
            Thanks ! T.

Comment

When they supercede the #, its usually an upgraded part, or at least the LATEST version for your engine. That's what you want.

With what Boscoe posted, tuck that away somewhere and use that for ordering parts (If yours isn't listed).. He's dealt with Yamaha part numbers, etc for numerous years. This parts site (above in red) shows US engines.

Engines, (might be exactly the same), they may use a different model #. If you can find a Yamaha parts list for your country, with YOUR model, that's fine too.

Re other parts, IDK...
              Scott

Comment

if you look at the motors that part 90386-38M89-00 fits , only 3 are listed

If you look at the 90386-38M32-00 it shows lots from 1984 to 2006+ even 4 strokes

I am not sure if the 89 would fit all of the others like the 32 should as they are listed for them
                Seems to me if the part was superseded then it would be listed that way when looking it up for all of the motors when ordering the 32

I would stay with the 32

Comment

Hi there,

Again, thanks for your replies !!

I did a search on the P200TLRS partnumbers (equivalent to my engine) and this is what I found on various sites :

yamaha OEM site mentions the "89" supercedes the "32"
                  Yamaha OEM Parts ? Outboards, Outboard Motors

partspak.com site mentions the "89" replaces the "32"
                  Yamaha 90386-38M32-00 Bush; New # 90386-38M89-00

crowleymarine.com site mentions only the new "89"
                  Yamaha - BRACKET 2 - P200TLRS 1994

boats.net site mentions only the old "32"
                  1994 200TLRS Yamaha Outboard BRACKET 2 Diagram and Parts

I think I can't go wrong with either of the two.
                  The 32 is the original first part and seems the safe way to go.
                  But obviously there must be a good reason why they changed this part, not into a "-01" version but right into an whole new partnr.
                  My conclusion : I'll go for the newer "89". Thanks ! :-)

I find the boats.net site the best site for partnumber search, but shouldn't it mention this new number ?
                  This forum is by the way a great added value. I don't know any other forum where I can post and get info in this degree of detail of my Yammie outboard.

Kind regards, T.

Comment

I would just call the toll free # posted above on their site.

They should be able to tell you everything about what part you need...

Please post what you come up with..
                    Scott

Comment

That is strange they did not show it changing on this part site.
                      Anyway sounds like you have it figured out.
                      Now the question is do you get a new oil seal #7 and the plate washers #8 to go with the bushings?
                      1994 200TLRS Yamaha Outboard BRACKET 2 Diagram and Parts
                      May have to take apart to see what is needed

Comment

Hi everyone !

It seems this is going to be quite a job.

My workplace manual says

removal of the "steering bracket" requires first removal of the "upper case assembly"
                        removal of the "upper case assembly" requires first removal of the "lower unit"
                        removal of the "upper case assembly" also requires first removal of the "bottom cowling"
                        removal of the "bottom cowling" requires first removal of the "power unit"

are there any known problems to expect (stuck powerhead bolts?)
                        for which I need to order extra parts or gaskets ?

Luckily this winterproject is not only about the replacement of the steering bushings.
                        My plan is to combine this with a repaint of the mid and saddle + clean up of the setback/lift
                        For this last job I'm going to take the engine off and put it on a motorstand.

Greets, T.

Comment

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd give an update on this partnr issue.
                          The new partnr is clearly another type of material and color (black). It feels more ridgid. I think they re-engineered this part to solve the play issue in the vertical steering column on later models...

Old vs New photo in attachment.
                          T.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X