Engine lifting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine lifting question

I need to lift a 200 2 stroke off boat to change out trim motor. In the past I've used the hook that is on the motor. I was thinking about using my flywheel lifting eye but was thinking that it might not be as good for the bearings lifting that way.
    Lifting from crank centerline does make it easier to hang the motor back on, though.

Any thoughts?

I would use whatever lifting mechanism that Yam has designed for the particular model. Hard to go wrong that way.

Comment

Manual shows using flywheel tool but the motor also has the factory installed lifting loop. That's why I asked.....

Comment

What is the Yamaha service manual number?

I don't even know what model or model year motor you are talking about.

Comment

Factory manual 1989 200

But question relates to practically all 2 stroke Yamaha V6's

Comment

You do not need to take the engine off to replace the trim motor. Just take the trim assembly loose.

Comment

If Yamaha specifies a lifting procedure using a lifting ring that attaches to the crankshaft then there should not be any adverse effects from such use.

But as noted, the motor does not need to be lifted to remove the power trim and tilt assembly. It will simply slide out from between the clamp brackets once all of the attaching hardware is removed and the power and bonding cables are unfastened.

Comment

do not use a lifting ring that attaches to the crankshaft to lift engine. enormous stress on delicate crankshaft.

Comment

Ugh, the fat albert of Yamaha motors, the V8 F300/F350, uses only a lifting eye on the crankshaft. Same with the SHO and Offshore series.

My Mercury also used a lifting ring on the crankshaft.

Would Yamaha or other engine maker suggest such a lifting procedure and make the tool available to lift it with if there was a chance that damage would occur?

Comment

on the 200 2 stroke, yes you can lift it by the flywheel using various tools Yamaha has offered over the years.
                    mine is the loop that requires the flywheel nut to be removed and then it threads down the crank.
                    my other one looks like a balancer removal tool that uses three 8mm bolts.

Comment

OK thanks. I can't get to the rear trim motor bolt without taking the motor off the boat.
                      The tilt pin is seized so I can't remove the entire trim unit. I guess I could leave the tilt pin connected and swing it outward after removing the side bracket bolts and spreading the bracket. Bur I'm afraid those bolts may snap off. So.... I'm thinking that if I tilt motor up after removing from boat I can get to the back trim motor bolt and just change out the motor. If one of those 10mm bolts snaps I'll have to remove the entire trim unit after sawsalling the tilt pin. Fun.....
                      Last edited by BQUICK; 11-05-2014, 09:01 AM.

Comment

and that's why I have gas bottles. also called a smoke wrench.
                        it will unstick a pin that needs repair anyway.

some of the 200's require the bracket to be split apart to remove the unit at all.

Comment

Finally changed out the trim motor yesterday. Lifted motor and turned to the side with the cables and hydraulic steering still connected and got to the 2 rear 10mm bolts. They came right out after 26 years!
                          Had to use manual valve to get bracket back in position to put motor back on boat. Tough job working alone but it all worked out.

Comment

Sorry guys - I know this thread is a bit old (April) but I have a question similar to this one.

I need to replace the tilt tube on my 1991 200TXRP. The Seastar support rod is frozen in it and will not budge, even with over an hour with an air hammer. I have new parts on the way and need to lift the engine off the transom in order to remove the tilt tune and replace (Yamaha calls it a Clamp Bracket).

I have another reasons for wanting to life the engine also - the previous owner for some reason has the engine mounted 2" above the transom and it needs to be lowered since on fast turns the prop cavitates.

3 questions:

1. Can I lift the engine using just the lifting bracket on the engine seen in this photo behind the flywheel:

2. Has anyone replaced the tilt tub on one of these 2 strokes and any advice or suggestions?

3. Does anyone know the exact weight of this engine? I read 390lbs but that's almost 100lbs lighter than the new 4 strokes. I know 4 strokes are heavier but that seems like a lot.

Thanks, David
                            Last edited by desmodab; 11-03-2015, 08:36 PM.

Comment

That lifting ring is fine to use.

Weight wise, my old Evinrude V6 150 2 stroke was about that (100 lbs) lighter than my current Yamaha F150 in-line 4, so it doesn't surprise me...
                              Scott
                              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                              X