FT9.9GE 2009 Cooling Water Query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FT9.9GE 2009 Cooling Water Query

Rebuilt the Lower Unit because of a leaking seal, engine is running fine with no overheating. Cooling water is appearing as shown in the photos. I have had the engine since new but have never run it in a tub before. I usually winterize the engine on the boat and I would not have been able to see this so it may have been happening all along. Is it normal for water to exit here? Any advice would be much appreciated

Where are my usual helpers?

Comment

Most motors have water coming out of various areas in lower unit....but you might consider dropping your lower unit to inspect gaskets, grommets ,etc. just to see if all is normal..

Comment

my guess is there are no seals around the shaft into the pump, so water tends to flow up and out of there.
        when was the last time the water pump housing replaced?
        That might help some, but it may be like that even with a new one

there are rubber seals on both ends of the tube heading from pump up to the power head that could have a problem also.
        the one at the pump could get messed up when stabbing the lower unit, but does not happen very often
        Last edited by 99yam40; 03-15-2020, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Impeller, housing and all seals fine. This water has been through the engine ie it doesn't appear immediately and is warm.....

Comment

water is suppose to go down the exhaust to help cool that and out thru the prop.
            not sure if that water should get out of the exhaust to come out there on a 4 stroke

I would think you could feel exhaust gases coming out too if that was true

Comment

Hello again Cleddau1.

I am going to say that is not right, no exhuast water should be coming out there....at least I have never seen it before on the F9.9's I have worked on.

So I am correct in saying that you just did work the LU?

If so...did you replace the damper seal that sits just behind the water
              pump assy? Or was it there in the first place? See parts diagram.

What is the SN of that engine again please...to make sure we are all looking at the same thing.

Comment

This picture copied from the service manual seems to show water discharging from the same area (where the little arrows are) under normal operation. This is reassuring (sort of). Cooling.JPG

Comment

Sorry Panasonic simultaneous post, I did replace the damper seal and attached photo shows engine details UK model EDFB9E03-CE66-4401-85EC-DCE814DBE03C.jpeg

Comment

Well I stand corrected according to that diagram. My buddy has a f9.9 and he uses a large garbage can to run the engine in and the water level is right up to the third fin when he does it...so probably won't really see it there or just never noticed.

My brother also has one as a kicker on his boat...but backs the boat into fresh water lake to rinse both engines after salt water use. So wouldn't see there for sure.

Comment

The "Hippo" tub I use with the engine on the stand only just covers the water inlet, prior to rebuilding the LU I had never removed the engine from the boat and flushed it using a bigger tub that would have concealed this misleading water flow. Still puzzled as to how the water gets there though. First whole day of sunshine today after 4 months of rain so lots of boat jobs to do. One benefit of Covid-19 is that I will have no visitors so will not be disturbed....
                      Many thanks for reassuring advice.

Comment

Working...
                      X