Two cylinders don’t fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two cylinders don’t fire

Hi guys my first post.my 2002 200 hpdi won’t spark on two cylinders at any rev can you help me

Checked coils there fine

Comment

Cylinders out are port side top starboard side second down if this helps

Comment

ECU may not be seeing the motor is going into gear.
        I it will limit RPMs while in neutral by not sparking on 2 cylinders and even more will loose spark if you try to raise RPM while in neutral

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          ECU may not be seeing the motor is going into gear.
          I it will limit RPMs while in neutral by not sparking on 2 cylinders and even more will loose spark if you try to raise RPM while in neutral
          No one ever seems to know how a motor is designed to operate. Mostly they seem to be looking for the part number that needs to be changed.

Then they want to know why it costs so much. Where it can be found at a price they want to pay.

They also don't like telling anyone what the model of the motor is. Top Secret information. Not to be disclosed.

Comment

Cylinders 1, 3 and 5 are on the right side when viewing the motor from behind. Cylinders 2, 4 and 6 are on the left side when viewing the motor from behind.

Cylinder 2 (left top) and cylinder 3 (right middle) do not normally fire when the motor is in neutral. If I am reading your words correctly these are the cylinders that are not firing on your motor.

A switch tells the ECU when the motor is in neutral and when the motor is in gear. If the switch has failed, causing the ECU to think that the motor is in neutral, when in fact it is in gear, then the two cylinders will continue to not fire.

Care to guess where to inspect the motor?

Comment

Thank you for your time and sorry about lack of info given ..I have a sparky mate coming over to test all three neutral start switches something two boat mechanics and a diagnostic guy don’t seem to be able to do . Cheers I will let you know how it goes

Comment

Hi guys for my 2002 hpdi z200trxa with ongoing two plugs out . Sparky has tested start switch in control box and the slide switch on the throttle rod under the cowl he says the potentiometer on the throttle top of throttle body changes engine rev but carnt say its proper . The ecu has been changed out with no change . I guess the next thing is get the diagnostic guy back out to see what codes are on it now . Ps new vst pump fitted filters changed including compressor filters . Injectors cleaned new injector base seals used compression is 110/115 over all 6 cylinders. Compressor changed out with no change .cheers

Comment

no idea what compressor you changed out.

and people without the proper knowledge about your motor may not know what they are checking

Comment

Neutral safety switch in the control box is not it.

Shift cut switch (slide) is not it.

It is not the throttle potentiometer.

It is the neutral position swich.

Comment

Is this the switch

Comment

I have changed my cables I’m thinking I may have the adjust wrong could this be an answer ?

Comment

Thank you for the info researching the hell outta this came up with the same switch is activated buy throttle position and gear position two inputs are required for 6 cylinder running 4 at idle 6 on throttle up in gear new cables switch and good adjustment on its way . Hope I understand this correctly I could not find two switches on slide but on pull apart I may find I’m wrong

Comment

Interesting, no spark on two cylinders, and filters changed, injectors cleaned, compression tested, new VST fuel pump, and still no spark...go figure. Trouble shooting is not difficult, but, it requires basic knowledge, a genuine manual helps, and an understanding of what is going on, and what is supposed to be going on.

Comment

That’s what a so called top boat mechanic changed and charged me for returning my boat not fixed .the next boat mechanic changed out the ecu at great expense had the injectors cleaned new injector seals and still not going . So I called a diognostic guy who said fuel pressure grr at that and 4 grand later I posted on your chat . You guys have set me on a coarse that makes sense sorry I seem so dumb on line but I understand the switch problem but I am reading two switches on the slide but can only see one switch with a wire . I’m can see sift moves it and throttle moves it . I just don’t see two sets of wires on the slide so am assuming that switch is activated twice once by throttle position and again by gear linkage movement giving the ecu two commands allowing 6 cylinder operation . A new switch and new cables are coming .ps not so keen to send boat to another mechanic ..I have sent a pic of the switch I have ordered is that it or will I find another when I pull it apart thanks for your time

Comment

Working...
                              X