200TXRR Shimming - Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200TXRR Shimming - Help

In the process of shimming back my lower unit after disassembly. Wound up replacing the pinion gear. Have it all together and used the shins that I took out. I’m getting .057in (reverse gear) and .037in (fwd gear) backlash. Out of specs in both directions according the manual. The reverse gear solution, according the manual, is to remove shims. Right now I have two .3mm shims installed. According the manual calculations I need to remove .9mm of shim material. I do not have that material to remove. As it turns out, I’m needing to increase shim by .85mm for the fwd gear.

Manual doesn’t state or address pinion gear shim adjustments other than the initial fit but I’m almost thinking that I need to adjust the pinion gear shim pack and that will take care of the excess clearance in both directions.

The deviation marks are long gone so I figured I just start at the point it came apart.

Looking for some advice.

Some documentation
    Attached Files

Comment

Can I ask what was wrong with the pinion gear....worn, damaged? How do the reverse and fwd gears look?

Comment

E57A6B4B-CCD3-4433-8297-2FB56CCFBEF9.jpeg A little damage on the pinion gear. The other gears look good. I probably could have gotten away with not replacing the pinion gear. First two pictures are the damaged pinion. The other SS are the reverse and fed gear.

Are you implying that the gears are so worn I can’t get a good backlash adjustment? Not sure how to determine if they’re worn beyond use.

Attached Files

Comment

The reason why I’m thinking about adding shins to the pinion is because there is quite a bit of float in the drive shaft. When I perform the backlash measurements I’m inverting the lower unit and taking them with the input shaft all the way up. When the lower unit is positioned right side up, backlash is minimal. So I’m thinking somewhere in the middle is correct. If I can get the pinion to sit more into the gear case, the pinion would engage more into the two gears.

Right now I have .75mm shim pack in the pinion bearing(2-.3mm & 1-.15mm).

Comment

That is what I was implying. I remember now you showed a picture of that pinion gear in another post.

Seems like you are doing it as per the manual. Yes you are correct if the pinion gear is slightly lower in the case then you will have less clearance (backlash)

Are you sure have the pinion in the right spot and all the bearings are completely seated? Strange you are unable to shim the gearbox correctly. I am assuming that the gearcase was completely stripped of all parts?

Also, did you have those fwd and Rev gears in a blast cabinet? They look a very flat grey color and have no shine to them????

Comment

Yes everything was stripped of the gearbox. See like everything is in the right spot. I stripped it down again to see the pinion gear shins and how much I have. According the manual it says that if you can’t read the deviation number to assume “0” and use the equations listed in the manual. If that’s the case it has you starting off with a 1.0mm shim. I’m thinking I need to start back there and see where I wind up.

The gears have a little more shine to the teeth than the pictures imply. Any measurement to see if the gears are too worn?
              Attached Files

Comment

I broke down the unit again to make sure I didn’t miss anything. Did a check on the pinion gear measurement with the Yamaha special tool. I was actually able to read the deviation measurement (-5) from where the anode is located. It took a little bit of getting it on the right light but I could finally make the number out. Verified the shims and feeler gauge measurement. It was right on.

I wound up putting the assembly back together to verify my readings. I knew something was different when everything was reassembled this time but not a lot of float on the input shaft. Checked the backlash measurements for the second time and they wound up being within tolerance(a little loose on the on the reverse gear but still within limits).

I’m not sure what I did on the second reassembly to make everything correct. It may have been something with the upper bearing carrier install. Not sure.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                X