Carb Cleaning quesiton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Cleaning quesiton

So i am cleaning the carbs on a motor that has been sitting for a while... after i cleaned them the first time idle and power improved but still didnt seem like is was idling as well as it should. So I removed the carbs again and in the top carb the was obvious ethanol deposits pretty large chunks but only in the top carb do you sometimes need to clean the carbs more then once? And tips would be great also already change with fresh fuel prior to use.

Ethonol will do some nasty stuff if not treated with a stabilizer.

If the carb was cleaned fully the first time, you shouldn't have to do it again.

Note, I would make sure you FULLY REMOVE both the IDLE and MAIN JETS for cleaning and make sure you can see light thru them. Some jets have horizontal holes that you cannot see un-less you pull them. Simply spray and compressed air won't cut it. Make sure you sync the carbs when you put them back on.

Yamaha makes a product called "Ringfree" which works extremly well at cleaning the fuel system and top end of the engine. I use it in ALL my gas machines.

If you run the RingFree, it will help clean the rest of the fuel system so you really need to keep an eye on your fuel filter for any crap coming loose from the tank, etc and stay on top of it.

As a side note, my current 1997 boat had a carbed Evinrude 150 that years ago,(approx 10 years, before I learned of fuel stabilizer) clogged the carbs. I cleaned them, the following week, same thing. Cleaned them again and asked at the marina. They recommended "Gas Shok" which I added and never had an issue with since. The tank (50 or 60 gallons) the main fuel line are original (17 years old), NEVER been pulled or cleaned. I do check the fuel thru the VST (since I re-powered in 2007). I did have some moisture build up (cloudy fuel). Between going to Non-ethonol fuel and using a product caled K100, the cloudyness is gone, fuel smells fresh, engine runs like a top.

All I currently run in my F150 is Ringfree and K100. Gas shok would work fine too if water isn't an issue

Some other reading if your carb is equipped;

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...html#post95063

Good luck and please post your results

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 10-26-2014, 07:16 AM. Reason: added info
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

thanks for the info need to grab me some ring free

Comment

Originally posted by Dusky 13 View Post
        thanks for the info need to grab me some ring free
        You can run it on the heavy side without any ill effects too...
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I guess what it amounts to is, IF you clean them properly, and I mean properly, not with sprays and stuff like that, if you don't remove the source of the crap (the fuel in the tank) then as soon as you run the motor, all the rubbish is straight back in the carbs, and you get to do them again.

Comment

I suggest you don't stop at the carbs. Ask yourself, where did the clutter come from? After a second carb issue, I realized the tank and lines were comprimized and replaced everything upstream of the outboard on our center console skiff. For me it was cheaper than a failed trip.

Comment

-------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
              X