water pump question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water pump question

Today I did something stupid. I have a 2003 25hp 4 stroke and I have camoclad on the motor (its a camoflage decal that covers the motor) The cooling water pilot hole was covered by this....dumb I know but water was running out from under the decal. I noticed it today and removed the decal and the water is flushing out like it is supposed to. I ran the motor for about an hour....not an hour straight....off and on in a 6 hour period. How will I know if I did any damage??? The local service place will just rip me off if I tell them why I am bringing it in.The motor seems to run fine. I was just hoping I didnt do anything serious.

Thanks

Its unlikely you did any damage. That is just a tell-tale stream to let you know the waterpump is pumping some water up to the powerhead.

Mike......... Miami, FL

Comment

Hunter,
      Mike is right - in fact, you could completely block the side discharge pilot hole and actually increase the water pressure to the water jackets.
      The pee stream is just an indication that the water pump is working - you haven't done any damage [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

thanks guys, but if its not blocked and its not flowing, I should check it out, right?

Comment

Hunter,
          If you do not have a water pressure gauge and the water pump pilot hole has no water coming out of it, then you have no indication that the water pump is working.
          If there is no pee-stream, then disconnect the hose at the nipple connection that plugs into the lower cowling - this is where debris will collect and plug up the pilot hole. You can tape the hose over the side of the lower cowling and run the motor with earmuffs and garden hose, and that should blow out any debris. If not, then you need to remove hose at connection on motor and remove debris there, and blow out the hose.
          Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
          Ken K

Comment

Thanks Ken, it is flowing good I just wanted to know for future reference.

Jonathan

Comment

I agree with Ken, but before you take anything apart, try taking about a 16 inch piece of string from your string trimmer and running it in and out of the pee hole this usuallu works for me.
              Dennis

Comment

Working...
              X