X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like you should have given us all the info to start out with,
    but still no info on what you are using to test

Comment

I'm not an outboard service rep but I'll tell you what I do know, and you can use it if you wish.

It would appear your manual is referencing an older Yamaha ignition tester and load coil that you probably won't be able to find anywhere.

Most outboard motor tests are done using a DVA adapter which converts the Peak AC signal from the coils to a Peak DC voltage, so it's measured on the DC scale on a DMM. If you're going to be doing your own motor work you should probably get one. Most techs will reference Peak VDC values. I believe they're widely used because they're a lot cheaper than a scope, faster and easier to use, and fit better in your tool box. There are 3 common ones available on the internet (ebay, amazon, oem, etc.) Electronic Specialties ES640, CDI Electronics, and Stevens Instruments PVA-1.

You should be able to read the resistance of both charge coils through the 4-pin connector using the wire colors in the manual and they should be very close to each other. You should also be able to measure the resistance of the 3 pulser coils trough the 6-pin connector and they should also be very close to each other.

With everything hooked up on the motor, you should be able to turn the motor over with the starter and measure the output of the charge coils and pulser coils. Make sure the safety lanyard is NOT attached to prevent the motor from firing. The outputs of the 2 charger coils should be close to each other and the outputs of the 3 pulser coils should be close to each other. If the scope on your meter allows it, you could measure the PK-PK AC waveforms, or buy a DVA adapter and measure the PEAK DC voltages using a DMM. Either way, the outputs of the respective coils should be similar.

Does this motor have carburetors or fuel injectors?

It would appear from the page of the manual you've included, there are 6 outputs from the CDI to fire the spark plugs. If you have everything connected, I believe those 6 outputs should also measure the same. They would be the inputs to the ignition coils on a carbureted motor. I haven't had to delve into fuel injected motors yet, so don't know anything about them.

CDI Electronics also makes a spark gap tester that you can connect up to 8 spark plugs at a time to check spark to all plugs at the same time.

Hope this helps some. Its a start. It will tell you if the charger and pulser coils are working properly. There are also other signals the CDI will need to produce spark. I probably can't tell you too much more without a service manual and wiring diagram.

One question though, are you getting spark to any of the spark plugs?
      Bob
      2003 Crest Super Fisher 25' Pontoon with Yamaha F90

Comment

Test for ignition fault with the safety lanyard out?

Comment

almost.
          the charge coil high and low speed outputs are in fact an A/C wave form.
          however the CDI rectifies and stores this in a capacitor where it waits for a trigger signal on the SCR.
          once the SCR triggers the cap it discharges into the ign coil primary winding.
          now its a DC form yet it transitions low to high and back to low very rapidly.

its a pretty basic CDI or altenator driven system that most all outboard manufactures ran a similar setup for 20 + years.

mount everthing back up and test accordingly.

I typically test spark first( while I also do the compression test).
          if spark test passes I am done with most CDI testing.
          on the p150tlrd if it does not pass how many cylinders failed to spark?
          this will give me a direction for the next test.
          if you don't wish to buy the 6 spark spark tester google home made spark tester.
          but all six need to be tested at the same time. makes things easier.

Comment

Thank you rodbolt. I will make a DVA at work today.

http://forums.iboats.com/filedata/fetch?id=6951728
            Last edited by 150 ProV; 10-20-2014, 07:22 AM. Reason: added print

Comment

like I said, test SPARK FIRST.
              if you lost all six, remove the white wire from the CDI and retest.
              if it now sparks on all six find the short to ground in the white wire and fix the alarm horn circuits while your there.
              if it sparks on 4cyl fix the pulser assy.
              if no spark with the white wire removed test the low speed charge coil.

lets not go splatter gunning, easter egging nor ghost chasing.

a lack of staying in gear wont be a control box issue.

Comment

No spark on all six. I understand. I've been an electrical troubleshooter for 33 years in industry. I just needed to understand the theory of operation so I could perform the tests. And I needed data to know what the tests indicate. Thanks again. I have a much better understanding now.

Comment

electronics is a tad bit different than electrical.
                  electronics is mostly stupidly simple.
                  I was an electronics tech with ordanance quals in the USN for a bit.

Comment

Working...
                  X