No announcement yet.

power tilt problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, it's not on that diagram. I looked at all these diagrams on Boat.Net earlier and couldn't find the switch I'm talking about. It sure looks like a limit switch with an adjustable stop.

Comment

if it has a pink and black wire running to it, it is just the trim gauge.

Comment

Some later model Yams have an optional tilt limit device that can be retrofit to the motor. Your model does not.

Comment

Yup, its pink and black. So it appears that the switch may not be the problem. I'll know more tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by dhanson48 View Post
            Yup, its pink and black. So it appears that the switch may not be the problem. I'll know more tomorrow.
            I think you missed the point. The pink wire is strictly for a trim gauge which you don't have.. Forget about that wire...

IT has NOTHING to do with the electric switch that you push to make the motor go up and down.

Its not unusal for the switch (that you push to raise and lower the engine) to fail and it'll do odd things by itself. With the switch un-plugged, the engine should NOT act up at all (if the switch is the issue), make sense?
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I do understand that the trim gauge switch is irrelevant. It is not the issue. I have two tilt switches on the motor. One on the tiller the other on the upper part of the lower unit. I have never tried the lower switch while moving on the water. I have always used the tiller switch. Tomorrow I will try the lower switch on the motor it self. I cant get either switch to malfunction or recreate the problem while on the trailer. It is only on the water while moving that I experience this problem. Also weird that this happens while moving when the force of the water against the lower end should force the motor up. Of course the prop wash would be trying to push it down. Ill know more tomorrow after I try the other switch.

Comment

Originally posted by dhanson48 View Post
                I do understand that the trim gauge switch is irrelevant. It is not the issue. I have two tilt switches on the motor. One on the tiller the other on the upper part of the lower unit. I have never tried the lower switch while moving on the water. I have always used the tiller switch. Tomorrow I will try the lower switch on the motor it self. I cant get either switch to malfunction or recreate the problem while on the trailer. It is only on the water while moving that I experience this problem. Also weird that this happens while moving when the force of the water against the lower end should force the motor up. Of course the prop wash would be trying to push it down. Ill know more tomorrow after I try the other switch.
                Yep, if the one disconnected doesn't stop it, disconnect the other, its likely one of them..

Good luck..
                Scott

Comment

OK, just got in from the bay. The problem exists (motor won't stay up while moving) while using either switch. Conclusion, it's not the switch. The motor tilts up and stays if I tilt it while going slow. it will then stay up even at speed. When at speed and I try and tilt it up it will strain to go up and will not stay up. My conclusion (sometimes correct, sometimes not) is that I have weak hydraulic pressure in the tilt cylinder. Maybe air or slight loss of fluid. Feel free to chime in. If this is the case how do I bleed and/or fill the cylinder. I do not have a service manual for the motor.

Comment

Any body? How do I check and/or fill the tilt cylinder?

Comment

The "manual, release screw", (a flat tipped screw), accessable on the starboard side of the mounting bracket. Clockwise to tighten-NORMAL, operating position.

If its slightly loose, you can loose loose hydralic pressure and the engine hydralic's will leak down and engine will come down, especially under power.

Check that first.

If that's tight, you likely have an internal leak in the T&T unit.

Part #45 ( I don't know your exact model # )

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...SSY/parts.html
                      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 01-29-2015, 06:08 PM.
                      Scott

Comment

Working...
                      X