1997 200hp stalling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 200hp stalling

Ok sort of long story here. Had carbs rebuilt last year. Ran fine $2K later. Fogged engines over winter, spring runs fine. sits 1-2 months have issue that will not stay running. Take bowl nuts out spray crab cleaner in, lot of crap came out. Still runs crappy. Take cake bowls off and clean with carb cleaner, runs fine. Great right? well a week later start runs like crap/stalls unless you run it at lie 2500rpm. Take off carbs off again clean but no help. Yes used stabil and startron. used new gas/used a can same issue. guess rebuilt them for $2K again?

is it hard to rebuild carbs DIY ?

Comment

well took the real boat mechanic like 20 hrs last time. So what's that for a novice 60? lol

Comment

for $2,000.00 even 60 hr DIY not bad, but really it is much faster. It may be stalling because of scorned cylinders (if engine had fuel problem before). buy a bore scope to look inside engine via spark plug hole. this tool cost about $150. very useful.
        Last edited by amahaork; 10-13-2014, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by amahaork View Post
          for $2,000.00 even 60 hr DIY not bad, but really it is much faster. It may be stalling because of scorned cylinders (if engine had fuel problem before). buy a bore scope to look inside engine via spark plug hole. this tool cost about $150. very useful.
          Well I have to run it at like 2000+ rpm to keep it running. Scorned cyl's will do that? Then engine junk I guess? Sounding like I should unload the boat. It's attached to a POS 1979 Robalo (AMF days). I only use it for fishing back in NJ with my father and son once in a while. I have a 35ft Bertram in DE with diesels that I normally fish so I don't use this much and with this ethanol fuel it makes it a disaster for having a boat you use only a few times a season.

Looking on the net what kind of rebuild kit would you recommend? Some seem to have very little to change just couple gaskets and needle valves .

Comment

What I worry about also is I had a few years ago a 25ft Grady with twin 150hp 1989 Yamahas and had carb issues. Back to dealer 3 times and he rebuilt and said carbs shot need new ones for lie 2K installed. I said screw it and put 4 strokes on it as why put that kind of money into an old engine

Comment

Originally posted by captfrank View Post
              well took the real boat mechanic like 20 hrs last time. So what's that for a novice 60? lol
              A real boat mechanic would not take 20 hours to do the carbs.
              Find a Yamaha shop that has trained techs or better a master tech.

If you dump trash into cleaned carbs it is going to plug up again.
              You either have trash in the tank and lines or the lines are coming apart on the insides.

Clean tank lines filters and fuel pumps. anywhere trash can hide needs to be cleaned when you do the carbs

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                A real boat mechanic would not take 20 hours to do the carbs.
                Find a Yamaha shop that has trained techs or better a master tech.

If you dump trash into cleaned carbs it is going to plug up again.
                You either have trash in the tank and lines or the lines are coming apart on the insides.

Clean tank lines filters and fuel pumps. anywhere trash can hide needs to be cleaned when you do the carbs
                2 years ago I took the tank out and cleaned it and use raycor water separator fuel filters. Also replaced all fuel lines with the hi grade fuel lines.

Comment

Originally posted by captfrank View Post
                  Take bowl nuts out spray crab cleaner in, lot of crap came out. Still runs crappy.
                  It has to come from some where.
                  Two years ago does not mean it is clean now.
                  Or are you making it inside the carbs?

Comment

20 hrs to clean/rebuild 3 carbs??? More like 2 hrs......

Comment

Originally posted by BQUICK View Post
                      20 hrs to clean/rebuild 3 carbs??? More like 2 hrs......
                      3 carbs charged 20hrs. I know ripped off

Comment

Remove and clean the fuel pump while you at it next time, also check the condition of your fuel line.
                        Are you using ethanol blended fuel? that stuff will take all the gummy bears from the tank and put them into your carburetors.

Comment

OK, spraying anything in the carbs is not going to clean them, so let's get that out of the way. Rebuilding the carbs is not too hard, buy a genuine service manual before you start, but.... Make sure your tank and filters are clean too, or you will be rebuilding them again very soon. Don't know about "scorned" cylinders, but I doubt it's your issue.

Comment

Working...
                          X