Yamaha F200 upgrade to F225?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha F200 upgrade to F225?

So there are articles out there about how it's supposedly possible to modify the ECU on a 3.3L F200 to make it a F225 or a F250. Likewise with a 4.2L F225 to make it a 250.

What I want to know is, is there anybody out there who has actually done this?

The reason I ask is that my boat is rated for up to 230 hp. On one hand, I'd like to put a 250 on it, but the insurance folks might not agree with that. On the other hand, I'd like to put a new 4.2L F225 on it, but that's big $, and none of my local dealers seem even remotely interested in the repower upgrade with trading in my existing motor. I'm sure it would be a different matter if I flat out bought a new 4.2L F225, but again that's just too much $ for me to throw at it.

However, if it really is possible to flash or change out the ECU to get a few more ponies out of the 3.3L, I would be interested to know in detail about it. And I don't mean the sketchy tuning kits you can find on ebay, if you know what I mean.

So, does anyone out there have any specific knowledge or experience with ECU upgrading? Is it realistically possible?

You will have better luck finding a racing forum to ask that question.

Just by new decals for your motor and see if that will give it a little boost in HP

Comment

ecu unleashed and simon motor sports are doing upgrades. I just had one done on my yamaha vz 250. Starts a lot better when cold and has increase the mid range, but I did not see an increase in speed, but I told them not to change the rev limiter. ecu unleashed did mine.

Comment

How do you expect an increase in top speed unless you either increase prop size, or increase RPM past the current limit??

Comment

Thread is a little old...

Maybe madharchod will weigh in...

Comment

Working...
          X