new 60hp yamaha slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that would be OVER propped.
    underpropping can lead to pegging the rev limiter.
    most the EFI four stroke rev limit functions are so smooth the operator doesn't know he is on it.
    overpropping leads to catastrophic piston failure that most likely may not be covered under warrenty.

underpropping leads to wasted fuel and lack of speed but the holeshot is nice.

Comment

Rodbolt, do you have any info for him on where to hook a tach on that 4 stroke tiller unit

Comment

most tiller models of the F motors you have to accesss the ign switch and tap into the green,black and yellow wires.
        there is a harness for that.
        I typically use my stevens timing lamp on tiller models with no tach during the PDI test run.

Comment

I borrowed a tach from a friend. It is called a Tiny Tach, you hook it to a plug wire and it is supposed to read true. Any thoughts? I appreciate any help.

Comment

Originally posted by Bass Cat View Post
            I borrowed a tach from a friend. It is called a Tiny Tach, you hook it to a plug wire and it is supposed to read true. Any thoughts? I appreciate any help.
            It should (maybe not) have some settings for 4 stroke, 2 stroke, etc. Just make sure its set correctly.

If you have another machine you can test it on wouldn't hurt..

You can test it on your 4 stroke lawn mower engine. WOT on the mower will likely be between 3,000 and 3,600 RPM's.

The Echo one I posted above showed 3,000 RPM's WOT on my Snapper mower(factory setting-wated spark). Max torque-3,000 RPMs, max HP-3,600. B&S recommended 3400 RPM's, +/- 100. I bumped up the governor to 3440, cuts/muches SO MUCH BETTER..
            Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 10-25-2014, 05:45 PM.
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

just remember most F motors in the small to mid range use waste spark ign.
              when using an inductive tach on waste spark four stroke you may have to divide by two .

Comment

Thanks for the help, you guys are a wealth of information.

Comment

Just hooked the tach up with a set of ears and at idle it is turning 1500 rpm's so I will have to divide by 2. Going to take it to the lake today to see what W.O.T. is.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                    Rodbolt, do you have any info for him on where to hook a tach on that 4 stroke tiller unit
                    Might be a bit late for this guy but the connection points for a Yamaha tachometer are within the tiller handle itself. A plate on the bottom of the tiller handle can be removed for access. Then it is just a matter of plug and play.

Comment

More confused now. I went to the lake, the tach read 1500 at idle, a little over half throttle it was reading 8900, while I was going to full throttle the tach went to 5000 and at full throttle it read 6100 and I still had a little trim left so I backed out of it and put it back on the trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by Bass Cat View Post
                        More confused now. I went to the lake, the tach read 1500 at idle, a little over half throttle it was reading 8900, while I was going to full throttle the tach went to 5000 and at full throttle it read 6100 and I still had a little trim left so I backed out of it and put it back on the trailer.
                        Sounds like the tach was acting up or it picked up a signal from TWO plugs at the same time momentarily.
                        Scott

Comment

it would do it every time you got over half throttle and when you would back off to half throttle it would read double

Comment

Is it a portable tach or how is it hooked up?
                            Scott

Comment

It just clamps to a plug wire and to ground, probably will have to buy a good one just hated to for one time use but I do want to make sure the motor is right.

Comment

Working...
                              X