Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• f100 sump removal

Hi,

The short story is that I stuffed up. I dropped a bolt down the dipstick hole while changing the oil etc.

Ive got the leg off, the shroud off, the sump is ready to drop, I have tried to take the lower bracket bolts out but cant because the gear selector shaft need to be removed.

Now I have removed most of the cabling etc to get to the top of the selector, but I still cannot get to it.

How do I drop the sump on these things? Have I overlooked something?

btw it is A 2011 model

And i apologise if i havent used the correct names.

Gav

You could try using a magnet down through the dipstick hole?

Is the bolt small enough to come out through the sump plug?

To get to the sump you have to remove the powerhead.

From there you remove the upper casing from the bracket and then remove the entire exhaust/sump assembly from the upper casing -- this step will probably wont need to be undertaken as once you have the powerhead off you will have easy access to the bottom of the sump.

Might pay to buy a OEM service manual if the magnet trick doesn't work.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...ING/parts.html
    Last edited by greasyshaft; 10-11-2014, 06:42 AM.

Comment

you have to remove the lower,remover the powerhead.
      remove the shift shaft.
      remove the lower cowl.
      remove the upper and lower motor mount nuts.
      remove the mid section then disassemble the midsection.
      I would try the magnet.

Comment

Hopefully the bolt is made of something the magnet will suck up to and not brass or good SS.

Question for everyone. Is the bolt going to cause a problem in there?
        Not sure it would block or restrict the oil strainer that much, but not sure if there would be a mechanical clearance problem where moving parts would hit it.

I have, many years ago dropped a distributor drive shaft into the pan on a ford V8. Just found another one to put in and left the one in the pan instead of pulling motor and pan.

Comment

As noted, try one of those magnets on the end of an extendable rod. Get one that is as small in diameter as you can find. Send it down the hole and hopefully you can fish it out.

If you can't retrieve the bolt then I would just leave it in the bottom of the oil pan. It should not be doing any harm.

Comment

Just curious, was it a bolt or a nut that you dropped?....diameter of dipstick shaft opening?....size of bolt/nut?......And as was mentioned, it was likely stainless steel and not magnetic??.....

Comment

It was the sump plug bolt, alloy already tried the magnet trick. How do I disconnect the gear selector, or do I have to take the power head off to get to it.

I would rather it out because of the distances I do offshore with one motor.

I am still kicking myself for being so stupid......

Comment

if you want it out, powerhead removal is the FIRST step.
                you may be able to retrieve it once the powerhead is off.
                if not midsection removal is next.
                if you do have to remove the mid section(upper casing) then turn it upside down and shake it.

Comment

Thx for all your guidance, you turned a nightmare into something doable

Comment

Working...
                  X