Fuel winterization Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel winterization Questions

1. I ran the stabilized fuel / fogging oil mixture through a new water separation filter at the end of summer because the only hose I could get off was the filter intake!! Did I ruin the filter and should I replace it, or is it still OK.

2. I went to a Yamaha Dealer seminar and the cert. tech. said we could leave the tank empty over the winter if it is poly, vs. almost full and stabilized. Sort of makes sense to me. Anyone have knowlege and/or opinions on this?

Thank you,
    A seeker of truth,
    Chris

What specific engine do you have?

Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Think about it... if the fuel/water separator would filter the oil/fogging mixture, then it would clog up and you wouldn't be fogging your engine. It doesn't clog up, which means the filter is just fine.

Both an aluminum or poly tank can be left empty or full. Poly is less susceptible to condensation build-up so it's "less" of an issue if you leave a poly tank half full.
      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

more air in a tank means more water that could condensate out on the walls.
        the metal will conduct the heat or cold from the temp outside to the inside a lot better than plastic.

I would think less air in the tank would be better.
        now if you are used e fuel, and drained the tank then there would be less fuel to suck up that moister in the air and go bad.

But you could still have condensate collect on the inner walls and run down to the bottom of the tank
        Last edited by 99yam40; 02-18-2020, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          more air in a tank means more water that could condensate out on the walls.
          the metal will conduct the heat or cold from the temp outside to the inside a lot better than plastic.
          Ah, but.... it's the fuel in the tank that allows the condensation to happen because the temperature of the fuel doesn't change as quickly as the air temp. Whereas an empty metal box will change temperature as quick as (close enough as makes no difference) the air. So, completely empty is fine -- and completely full is fine since there is virtually no "bare wall" left to allow condensate to form.

An empty cup doesn't sweat on a hot day. But a cup with cold water in it will.

Comment

You may be overthinking this......aircraft left on the ramp at the airport are almost always left with full tanks to minimize condensation.....So, on your boat tank, just add a good dose of stabilizer, fill your tank full and leave it......Any condensation/moisture in the fuel will be removed in the fuel/water seperater. If your motor has carbs then it's a good idea to drain carb float chambers a couple of times a year, just to be sure any water/debris is clear.....

Comment

It is a F150XA engine. 2014 year.

Sorry, DennisG01 - I'm not getting your "drift"- did the oil clog up the filter element or didn't it???

Comment

Originally posted by clevey4222 View Post
                It is a F150XA engine. 2014 year.

Sorry, DennisG01 - I'm not getting your "drift"- did the oil clog up the filter element or didn't it???
                No worries. No, the oil/fogging solution will NOT clog the filter. If it "would" clog the filter, then it would never get to the engine to do what it is supposed to do.

FYI... another way to fog your engine is to pour the fogging solution directly into the fuel/water separator and then run the engine for a preset amount of time at a certain RPM. I'm not sure what it would be for your engine, but I imagine it would be at least close to the spec for Mercruiser sterndrives (of which I am very familiar with). For those, it is 5 minutes at 1,200RPM's. That assures the solution gets through the injectors (primary reason for this) but not TOO long as to wash the solution out.

Comment

OK, everyone, thanks for all of the info, and any other forthcoming.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post

Ah, but.... it's the fuel in the tank that allows the condensation to happen because the temperature of the fuel doesn't change as quickly as the air temp. Whereas an empty metal box will change temperature as quick as (close enough as makes no difference) the air. So, completely empty is fine -- and completely full is fine since there is virtually no "bare wall" left to allow condensate to form.

An empty cup doesn't sweat on a hot day. But a cup with cold water in it will.
                    my truck collects a lot of water on it when sitting outside over night,
                    all metal, glass and plastic has condensation/dew collected on it.
                    even the open bed inside and out..
                    is there something different between that and a full or empty cup.

If there is air inside the gas tank it has
                    some
                    moisture in it, when the tank sides temp drops low enough water will collect on it

Comment

my truck collects a lot of water on it when sitting outside over night,
                      all metal, glass and plastic has condensation/dew collected on it.
                      even the open bed inside and out..
                      is there something different between that and a full or empty cup.

If there is air inside the gas tank it has
                      some
                      moisture in it, when the tank sides temp drops low enough water will collect on it
                      Interesting point - and a cause for more thinking! But I believe these are sort of two different things. The dew doesn't form on the inside of the vehicle - only on the outside because of the "heavy" air and possibly because of the vehicle still being a different temp than the surrounding air.

Dew/condensation forms when there is a difference in temperature. With an empty tank, the air inside the tank changes at (essentially) the same rate as the outside of the tank. However, when the tank is full, the inside temp does not change at the same rate due to the mass of fuel... and then condensation can happen. With a full tank, the same thing happens, except that there is very little "wall space" left inside the tank for condensation to occur... hence the 'ol recommendation of "completely full or empty - never in between".

Comment

I need to drink some more beer this evening and think it over some more

I got it now,
                        best thing to do is put a desiccant drier on the breather/vent to the gas tank so it only lets in dry air
                        Last edited by 99yam40; 02-19-2020, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I need to drink some more beer this evening and think it over some more

I got it now,
                          best thing to do is put a desiccant drier on the breather/vent to the gas tank so it only lets in dry air
                          Even better... we can put a small, electric heater right next to the tank to keep it warm in there!

Comment

Working...
                          X