150 HP Yamaha Salt Water Series II, 2 stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150 HP Yamaha Salt Water Series II, 2 stroke

Curious if anyone has any advice on a 1994 150 HP Yamaha Salt Water Series II, 2 stroke
    are there any major common issues with this motor that would eventually render it useless?
    I've read that there may be a issues with water draining from the motor leading to corrosion of the heads?
    looking into buying a boat with this outboard on it and I'm cautious of it being >20yrs old

don't buy it unless you going rebuild it yourself. common problems: clogged water passages, all threads corroded and bolts breaks so removal of head is an adventure; cylinders scorned and required re-boring/honing; if boat wasn't on trailer, corrosion everywhere and non-working electric due corrosion of contacts. lower unit oil not milky and shafts not loose. replacing seals not hard, but fixing internals require special tools, money wise doesn't make sense. and yes, tilt and trim need repair too. if you get it for free, all parts will be $1500 and your winter labor. labor cost about $2000

Comment

or it could be ok.
      either way Ill give ya 300 bucks for it.

Comment

thanks

thanks for the response, when he started it up in the yard with the hose attached it did not show any indicate that water was pumping, this raised a red flag with me and I was afraid it might be a internal issue...... may be the pump but could be bigger then that as you indicated.

Comment

Working...
        X