Lower Unit Pitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Unit Pitting

Outside of the lower unit is in fairly good condition. However when I removed the lower bearing carrier I found some pitting inside the casing external to the gear section. The part where the gears are located is in very good condition.
    I was planning on filling the pits with some JB Weld and sand it down. Two questions:
    1). Has anyone painted the inside of the lower unit in the area I’m referring? Just to provide a layer of protection.
    2). Can anyone refer me to a “how to” on re-painting the lower unit. Using rattle cans with paint matching the rest of the outboard(1993200TXRR)?

cleaning that area so something can stick, may be a problem

Comment

I think that's a perfectly fine idea to do that. Brush away what you can with bronze wool and/or a bronze (or SS) detail brush and some degreaser like Simple Green. Flush it out with a water hose and let it dry. Then spray the cavity (keep it tilted down) real well with Brakleen and then some more water. Once it's dry, use some zinc phoshpate primer in a spray can (Moeller is widely available). Follow the directions on the can. I wouldn't bother masking anything, at all, inside the cavity. The primer is only going to help. No need to topcoat it in a matching color. In the end, maybe some spots won't stick - but what sticks, sticks... and that's better than nothing.
      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Thanks for the help. So just a lot of prep and a coat of primer.
        Am I using the same process for the outside? imagine there’s a lot more intermediate sanding steps and a final coat.
        How about ideas on trying to get paint that matches original.

Comment

Prep is always the key to a good paint job. You can try Moeller - they may have matching colors. Possibly your Yamaha dealer. Or just try googling for it.

Comment

After looking at things I decided to go one step further, repainting the lower unit. The paint was in sad shape after all the heating to get the lower bearing housing out and just the overall age.

I already stripped down the outside to bare aluminum. Unit has held up very well. No pitting other than what I already found inside the tube.
            After looking at this forum and other posts here is the process I came up with to improve my chances with a good looking durable paint job(I’m not set up for spray booth or anything. Just rattle can):

1). Apply Alumiprep as per instructions.
            2). Apply Alodine as per instructions.
            3). Apply zinc chromate primer.
            4). Apply colorrite primer.
            5). Apply colorrite tip coat (Marine Metallic Silver)
            6). Apply two part clear coat from Eastwood.

Looking for feedback on the process. Please let me know if I’m off at all.

Heard mixed reviews about the colorrite product I cannot find the EK Yamaha paint anywhere else. Anyone have other options?

Do I need to apply the Colorrite primer after the zinc chromate primer?

Any concerns about mixing the brands of prep, paint, clear coat?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Make sure all of the paints you use are compatible - same type of paint - otherwise you could be doing it all over again!

Comment

That’s where I’m concerned/confused. Same type or same brand?

Comment

Same brand makes it easy. But same type is the important thing.

Comment

Working...
                  X