water pump/bowl kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water pump/bowl kit

I bought a new water pump/bowl kit..I am having a very difficult time removing the ss cup from the plastic housing. I don't want to damage it. Is there an easier way? Could I try warming it with a hair dryer to make it more plyable, or is there another trick?

that's why the water pump kit comes with a new cup,wearplate,impeller, key and applicable orings and gaskets.
    they all wear out.

Comment

Maybe the cup overheated and melted the plastic housing on to the cup.

Hard to tell from this side of a computer screen.
      And we have no idea what motor you are talking about

Should not be hard to remove the cup from the housing normally

Comment

w/p kits from yammy

they come with all parts except one !!!.....the water outlet black rubber seal...on the very top of the pump housing...don't know why..but have learned to keep the old on or order a new one with pump kit..I also "ream" the inside ID of the new impeller and grind the keyway a bit for install...and use "gasket cinch" to secure the lower "o" ring to the plastic pump housing for a sure/ no IF'S install..I have seen SOO many "o rings" on the pump housing to "wear plate" that are torn,misaligned/ripped...F/uped from big shops with big signs out front..also would say 75 percent of pump housing have a small sign of melting plastic on the top above the "cup"...just my notes...

Comment

They melt when you don't give them water.

One of the guys I worked with liked to start engines without water, he could never comprehend why he would smell burning rubber!!

He didn't last long

Comment

yammy w/p

they IMO have a two issues...And do melt all the time !! the way the gears are cut in the lwr gear case and VERY tight w/pumps...Have you ever seen any other make that has "wavy washers and locking caps" ??? NO..Please,,,lets not start a pissing contest !! I work on ALL major brands and have seen/noticed yammy pumps are TIGHT and have a bit of.......problems with melting on the inside of the upper water pump housing....I now just expect to see it after all this work on them !! nock yourself out about this if you want...But I can Provide USCG and USCG AUX Reffs..I do work on vessels that save folks lives..SO...I sure in the hell have no reason to BS....

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
              that's why the water pump kit comes with a new cup,wearplate,impeller, key and applicable orings and gaskets.
              they all wear out.
              I think he's talking about the actual plastic housing that the 4 bolts go thru (which doesn't come with the kit). He can't get the SS cup out of that part..

For the OP, it should come out normally without issue. If there's any evidence of melting to the housing, replace the 4 bolt housing as well.

Pass the popcorn!
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

the ONLY reason the housings melt is insufficient water supply. that's it.

yes some of the 3cyl pumps are a rather tight fit on the shaft.
                yes some of the V engine keys are rather tight in the shaft.

the wave washer assy on some V engines has NOTHING to do with the pump.
                if left completely out it wont affect water pump operation.

over the years I have been trained and authorized to do warrenty repairs on Mercruiser,Yamaha stern drive,Volvo, Suzuki,Force,Mercury,Tohastsu and Yamaha.
                I made the Yamaha Master tech in march of 2006.
                so yea I have worked on a few brands. the bulk of my work until about 2000 was OMC.
                the V OMC water pump impellers fit a heck of a lot tighter than the V Yamaha.

Comment

Rodbolt17

Some day ya got to tell us about the 17 thing..I was not implying the wavy washer and locking cap has anything to do with the w/p..but the fact of how yammy cut their gears.. this is for preload as it were.....I do a lot of omc work (stringer drives..grrr) and even the old two output w/p..but ,,myself have never found a omc impeller hard to deal with..remember they use a plastic cam and with one whack the right direction they slide off like butter...but ,,that's just my experience !! Ive found the yammys are tight as hell and the keys are a nightmare IMO...

Comment

Sometimes tight is good.

Comment

the gear cut on the 3cyl yamahas actually pulls the shaft down.
                      the inline 4 and v motors push the shaft up, just like omc.
                      aint but so many ways to make a 90* spiral bevel gear power transmission.

Comment

Working...
                      X