No announcement yet.

TPS question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure how a new TPS would help if the throttle plat is not closing.
    unless the TPS itself is what is keeping it from closing

Comment

The parts diagram for that engine is quite lacking here..

Depending on the throttle body (not shown), you may be able to put another "wind" on the shaft/return spring tightening up the action/return...

Again, with no parts pic, unable to see if there's one TB, two, etc.. Just a thought.

Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

99 and Towns, Thanks! Yes, 99, I'm thinking in the direction of some dust, crud, salt residue, whatever that could be preventing a complete closure/return of TPS winding. Have not taken it apart so I cannot vouch for exactly how it looks but I do see signs of "dust" in various areas on this motor - most likely came from dirt dauber nests that I found in the upper cowling being whipped around by flywheel and such as they broke loose at some point. But at best I think new TPS is a LONGshot.
        Towns, agreed! Maybe I'm wrong here but I feel like this motor is sort of weird. It's listed on all paperwork I see as a 2005 but stamped 07/04 manuf date. Been very hard to pinpoint the correct manual as well as the ones I have aren't exactly like my motor. Having said that, there are 6 throttle plates (butterflies). I have cleaned them as best I can without actually disassembly. Measured plate angles many different ways at many different throttle positions (dial caliper) and they are dead on synchronized. Bores are clean and smooth with nothing binding any of the plates at close. The pressure I am placing on the top shaft (spring side) might be torquing the shaft a bit causing full closure of TPS. As I have also stated before I am a little surprised and disappointed in the TPS mounting bracket as it definitely has some "give" to it as well. At this point it is much much better and I plan to run it until it heads in the wrong direction. Thanks to everyone who commented and offered advice as it has given me good insight and direction!

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonDawgs View Post
          Towns, agreed! Maybe I'm wrong here but I feel like this motor is sort of weird. It's listed on all paperwork I see as a 2005 but stamped 07/04 manuf date. Been very hard to pinpoint the correct manual as well as the ones I have aren't exactly like my motor. Having said that, there are 6 throttle plates (butterflies). I have cleaned them as best I can without actually disassembly. Measured plate angles many different ways at many different throttle positions (dial caliper) and they are dead on synchronized. Bores are clean and smooth with nothing binding any of the plates at close. The pressure I am placing on the top shaft (spring side) might be torquing the shaft a bit causing full closure of TPS. As I have also stated before I am a little surprised and disappointed in the TPS mounting bracket as it definitely has some "give" to it as well. At this point it is much much better and I plan to run it until it heads in the wrong direction. Thanks to everyone who commented and offered advice as it has given me good insight and direction!
          I would think the TB's are adjusted using a vacuum gauge, no?

Your probably very close but...

Very likely it won't make a difference with the TPS.
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

if it has the D on the end of model, it is a 2005
            just produced in 2004
            a 2004 would have a C

Comment

Unhook all the links to the throttle body, back off the idle screw, loosen up all the plates make sure they are closed and tighten them. They are left handed threads. Set the tps to .52 then set the idle screw to .60. then hook everything else up.

Comment

Working...
              X