V4 115 carbs have fuel dripping from carb throat while running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

Where the hell have you been? Walkabout?
    Yeah well, don’t really have much to contribute these days.
    Summer holidays here, bit depressing here the whole of Australia is/has/will burn. The numerous out of control fires have joined up and look like the entire forest on the coast (inland is desert) will burn.
    All unprecedented, state of emergency declared, military engaged and navy evacuating people by the sea as the fires are burning to the coast. Many holiday makers encircled or trapped with major road closure.
    The smoke haze has covered Sydney, now Melbourne and Canberra (capital) with air quality there 15 times above safe level.
    You probably get some on your news.
    Our smoke has covered New Zealand South Island - that’s another country thousands of miles across the sea!
    The fires now have covered areas the size of several European countries!

And there still are climate change denialist, inspite of authorities now admitting this is something that has never been seen before. However fatalities low (brother lost two friends, my son,s in-laws impacted badly, tomorrow Extremely bad day predicted.

Comment

I agree that the climate is changing.

Seems to have always been so.

Comment

are they dropping water on those fires from the air?
        not sure how well salt water would be dumped all over the forest, but I would think it would be better than the fire

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          are they dropping water on those fires from the air?
          not sure how well salt water would be dumped all over the forest, but I would think it would be better than the fire
          Australia is using everything it has to fight these apocalyptic wildfires but it clearly is inadequate. You have to generalise they cannot stop these fires, so all efforts are to save lives.
          The other cost has been the loss of half a billion animals so far.
          We don’t have enough water bombers, at the beginning large “airline” water bombers could have made a difference, but we only have ONE!,,
          You got to realise these fires create incredible micro climates; an 8 ton fire truck, full of water, was tumbled end on end on even solid ground by a fire tornado. Airborn craft cannot fly over most of these fires, there are columns that go kilometres up in the air and then drop incredible heat and fire kilometres away.

Comment

^^^^, You guys down under are in my prayers.. Be safe..
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

To late now for these fire's, but Canada protects it's forests with a fleet of over 60 CL 215/415 water bombers. Plus many smaller aircraft.

Purpose built for fire fighting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadair_CL-215

Been watching it on the news pretty much everyday. Absolutely terrible.

Comment

This
                Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                To late now for these fire's, but Canada protects it's forests with a fleet of over 60 CL 215/415 water bombers. Plus many smaller aircraft.

Purpose built for fire fighting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadair_CL-215

Been watching it on the news pretty much everyday. Absolutely terrible.
                We have lots of craft, but this season needed the big ones. Our Prime Minister announced today that they are leasing 4 of those from over your way somewhere (a week to arrive). A bit late by a long shot; our Government were warned and requests were made to them, but were denied. I suspect this PM and the government are going to loose their jobs over this.

With respect, I don’t think another 60 of those CL 215s are going to do the trick now! That is they will not be able to control the major out of control fires.
                Last edited by zenoahphobic; 01-04-2020, 02:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
                  This

We have lots of craft, but this season needed the big ones. Our Prime Minister announced today that they are leasing 4 of those from over your way somewhere (a week to arrive). A bit late by a long shot; our Government were warned and requests were made to them, but were denied. I suspect this PM and the government are going to loose their jobs over this.

With respect, I don’t think another 60 of those CL 215s are going to do the trick now! That is they will not be able to control the major out of control fires.
                  Yes I agree that having a bunch of water bombers brought in now will not do the job... probably only rain will put them out, or the fires run out of fuel..everything burned.

I have had a few rides in the CL 215 and the old PBY converted to bombers and it is amazing how fast they can put a lot of water on a fire quickly before they get out of hand. Being a purpose built fire bomber and able to pick up water from small ponds and lakes near the fire is the key. Or the ocean. These things can have fire out before ground crews can even get to them.

We had a fire near me a few years ago and they had 10 air tractor bombers dropping water on it for two days while people's houses burned down. These little aircraft have to fly back to a busy airport, land, taxi in, water pumped in and reverse the process...far to long. They brought in 2 CL 415 from another province (My best buddy growing up was the Maintenance Engineer) and they had the fires out in 4 hours picking up water in a small lake a couple of miles away from the fire.

I don't know what is going to happen in Australia now...but it not looking good for you folks.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post

Yes I agree that having a bunch of water bombers brought in now will not do the job... probably only rain will put them out, or the fires run out of fuel..everything burned.

I have had a few rides in the CL 215 and the old PBY converted to bombers and it is amazing how fast they can put a lot of water on a fire quickly before they get out of hand. Being a purpose built fire bomber and able to pick up water from small ponds and lakes near the fire is the key. Or the ocean. These things can have fire out before ground crews can even get to them.

We had a fire near me a few years ago and they had 10 air tractor bombers dropping water on it for two days while people's houses burned down. These little aircraft have to fly back to a busy airport, land, taxi in, water pumped in and reverse the process...far to long. They brought in 2 CL 415 from another province (My best buddy growing up was the Maintenance Engineer) and they had the fires out in 4 hours picking up water in a small lake a couple of miles away from the fire.

I don't know what is going to happen in Australia now...but it not looking good for you folks.
                    Pano thanks for your thoughts, not many people here not affected in some way or another, this was the biggest ever seen and the fire season still has atleast two months to go.
                    I’m sitting in smoke haze that clears some days, others have endured this for weeks and months, health hazard warnings everywhere.
                    The fire burning behind Sydney has just been declared under control, it has been burning two and a half months.
                    The cost has now been estimated at $2Billion! The lousy Aus Govt didn’t want to spend $2M earlier in the piece on extra water bombers.
                    I believe that water bombers is the only technology that can have a significant impact at the Start of a fire. Land crews back burning did not (still has not) worked. Past fuel reduction burns have not worked to stop these fires, the fires just burnt again over recently con*****ed burns, clearly Aus is faced with a massive task to find a solution to deal with future fires! And they continue to be predicted to be more frequent and more severe.
                    The factor is that we have had many years of drought, unprecended to this extreme. Dryness will eventually mean massive fires. And we well and truly knew that this would eventually happen.
                    We are a laughing stock overseas, and the Government has been condemned.
                    They atleast in the short term, have now accepted climate change, hopefully no longer using the excuse that we only contribute a very small amount to CO2 emissions, and therefore weren’t responsible for the fires. They still don’t understand what a bad example we have set.

Comment

Working...
                    X