2003 Yamaha 200 hpdi vmax tps wot question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 Yamaha 200 hpdi vmax tps wot question

Let me start off by saying Thank you. Lots of knowledge on here. On to the problem. So I purchased the YDS to hook it up to the laptop to the outboard and see if everything was running as it should. And while everything seems to be all good there are two readouts that caught my attention especially when feeling as if the motor isnt running as fast as I think it should (my friend has the exact same boat and motor and his gets up to max 65 mph rpm unknown. While mine can do 59 and cant pass 5400 rpm). And that would be the tps voltage and throttle valve opening. which at idle seem to be right on the money at tps volt .61 valve opening 2.3 deg. its when we go to the opposite side of the spectrum that the readings seem to have me thinking i could get a little more performance out of this motor. At WOT tps volts are 3.96 and valve opening 72.7. If I disconnect the throttle cable i can push the throttle bodies a bit more by hand but not much. Read outs while forced to the stops of the throttle bodies is 4.18 volt and 77.3 valve opening. Do you think its time to replace the tps? the boat runs great otherwise. Im just something that likes everything to be perfect. let know what you guys think. I appreciate all the help and guidance. Thank you again

If the throttles are fully opening mechanically I don't think there is much more that you can do.

Trying to compare two boats, two motors, two propellers, two engine trim angles, etc.. to each other is chasing rabbits down a hole.

5500 RPM is the red line. 5400 RPM at WOT is spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
      Trying to compare two boats, two motors, two propellers, two engine trim angles, etc.. to each other is chasing rabbits down a hole.
      If the boat's speedo is being used to compare speeds, that's yet another variable.
      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

I would talk your friend into giving you more info.
        WOT RPM, prop being used so you could better understand any differences

and see if he will let you hook up to his motor to see what it reads.

Comment

Thank you guys for the replies. I should have added a few more details. The boats are the same. 21 hewes redfisher. his is a 01 mine an 03. same motor except again his is 01 mine 03. same config on boat boats. i used his prop to see what i could do with it. and the speed was verified by gps. So thats why i was like why is his faster. and i started chasing things around my motor. I want to hook up the yds to his boat to see what his readings are. but till then ive been just messing with mine. i ordered a new tps today and the roller and cam as they show visible signs of wear. see if they change anything. But regardless there is a small amount at wot that i can force open a bit with my thumb. still only gets me from 3.91 volts to 4.08 which is alittle more no doubt. but thats only showing 77 deg of valve opening... only thing i could think of is putting my idle tps from .61 to like .71 to give a higher reading the whole time.

Moving on to another topic. as i checked them today. the spark plug caps. 5 of them measured between 4500-4900ohms one was 5500 still within spec. why do we have these when the spark plugs them selves have 5k resistors in them as well? i feel like i am robbing some spark power here. wouldnt we only need one or the other? and would it be bad idea to run a different spark plug like an iridium ik22?

Comment

Engine mounting height.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
              Engine mounting height.
              They are both the same. 6 inch jack plate mounted second hole from the top. I can run it up 3 inches water psi drops a bit 12-13 psi. I run around 2 inches is where my water psi stays 15psi wot. 20psi before hydro foil mode.

Comment

Originally posted by gcmfishin View Post

They are both the same. 6 inch jack plate mounted second hole from the top. I can run it up 3 inches water psi drops a bit 12-13 psi. I run around 2 inches is where my water psi stays 15psi wot. 20psi before hydro foil mode.
                is that the same for your friend too?
                still need to know his WOT RPM when running 65

seems strange on plug cap is higher, might replace that to see if it is a problem, but I do not know what the spec is.

Also I was thinking the TPS was suppose to be around .7.

see if you can find something Rodbolt has written on that, but not sure how easy that your be for your motor.
                It is a shame he has not been posting for a while

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

is that the same for your friend too?
                  still need to know his WOT RPM when running 65

seems strange on plug cap is higher, might replace that to see if it is a problem, but I do not know what the spec is.

Also I was thinking the TPS was suppose to be around .7.

see if you can find something Rodbolt has written on that, but not sure how easy that your be for your motor.
                  It is a shame he has not been posting for a while
                  My friends boat is able to get his motor up to 5900 RPM. Mine on yds couldn't push past 5450. Which is good for sure. Yamaha ranges are 4500-5500. Many people say 5800 is where I actually want to be. Safe max.

The plug cap range from Yamaha is 4000-6000. But I'm just confused as to why the spark plugs have 5k resistors as it is. Why do we need more resistance.

For the TPS everything I read online was .50+/- .02 with the idle screw backed out. Then +.10 for idle. Which I'm perfecty at. Which is only getting me to 3.92 volt wot. Which 4.5 is Max. But what annoys me more is the valve opening degree. Which goes with the TPS output. So my TB being at 90deg open the readout is 77. Which I'm sure has some effect one timing and fuel. Which relates directly to power output. Maybe my issue. If I do increase the idle TPS read out then I would have higher wot readout. But I think .60 at idle is correct in my research. I think I read newer motors the fourstroke have higher. Maybe someone could chime in that knows more about it.

Thank you guys again.

Comment

maybe it was the 4 strokes I was thinking about at .7
                    I did not think 5900 was a good RPM to run if they are rated at 5500.
                    I believe the higher resistance will cause more voltage and hotter spark.

are you sure the fuel pressure is in range and have you looked at injector cleaning

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                      maybe it was the 4 strokes I was thinking about at .7
                      I did not think 5900 was a good RPM to run if they are rated at 5500.
                      I believe the higher resistance will cause more voltage and hotter spark.

are you sure the fuel pressure is in range and have you looked at injector cleaning
                      My whole fuel system is new as of the beginning of 2019. Fuel pressure is about 750. With in spec.

I just got the boat from a day of fishing. I did the throttle sync. Put the TPS at .51 all closed. Adjust idle screw to .61 RPMs 650 to 700 idle. When in gear idle drops to 500ish a bit low. Eventually came up to 600. But still a bit low still runs good. 5300rpm today. 57mph. Ruff today. I feel like I need to increase the TPS a bit. It's reading .60-.61 it idle. It's just not enough rpm. Also o2 sensor at idle is .1 volt. Extremely lean. I upped the TPS to .63 at idle. By increasing the TPS not the idle screw. That made my idle 700-725. And o2 is at .3 now. I see if I get another water test tomorrow.
                      Last edited by gcmfishin; 12-14-2019, 04:08 PM.

Comment

if all else does no good
                        , I would change that one plug cap just because it is higher than the rest

Comment

2005 VZ200 HPDI. I have also noticed my valve angle does not approach 90 degrees. Without testing on YDS I would guess 80 degrees at the max. At rest (YDS) shows TPS @ 0.63 and valve opening at 2.8 degrees, just for comparison. I'm reading 5400 rpm at WOT. I have assumed that Yamaha intentionally limits the WOT angle as a way to de-tune. I am totally ok with that IF it is the case. I've blown my share of motors in the past pushing it to the max.

Comment

Working...
                          X