Burning oil on 2015 F300 UCA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning oil on 2015 F300 UCA

When I did my mid season change I was low about 2.5 quarts of oil. I used syn oil since new. I just though maybe I short changed it on previous change but when winterization was done yesterday I was short about 2 quarts again. I now have 1600 hours on this engine. I now switched over to regular dino oil. Anyone else have any issues with their 300? I am now considering strapping on a new 300 after next season.

from what I have heard
    they need to be broke in
    well
    using dino ,before putting in syn.
    but you know how that goes, what you hear and read on the net may not always be true

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      from what I have heard
      they need to be broke in
      well
      using dino ,before putting in syn.
      but you know how that goes, what you hear and read on the net may not always be true
      It was broken in correctly and dino was used. After break in period I switched to syn. The engine has ran fine all along. I will be keeping a close eye on it in the spring

Comment

well that sounds strange to start using oil like that if it was broke in properly.
        have you noticed leaks into the water or any smoke?
        how about looking at the plugs to see if they show any carbon from burning oil?
        leakdown and compression tests should indicate any problems with rings.

but could suck oil thru valve guides or leak past lower crank seal heading to the water

Comment

No sheen on water, no smoke engines run perfectly...….my plugs were looking pretty ugly but I did put about 360 hours on them this season. Mechanic is doing water pump in spring an will do compression check on lower unit, also change pcv filters.

Comment

Originally posted by notamechanic View Post
            No sheen on water, no smoke engines run perfectly...….my plugs were looking pretty ugly but I did put about 360 hours on them this season. Mechanic is doing water pump in spring an will do compression check on lower unit, also change pcv filters.
            What was ugly about the plugs?

Comment

Originally posted by notamechanic View Post
              I am not sure how they do a compression check on the lower unit, and what does the lower unit have to do with engine oil loss

Comment

Working...
              X