Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loss of Power when trimming engine (04' F225)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loss of Power when trimming engine (04' F225)

Took the boat out sunday and drifting in the flats w/motor running needed to tilt the engine up. When I attempted to tilt the engine she cut off. Started her back up and was able to tilt engine up. After getting under way at about 35 mph (running both batteries bought new last month) attempted to make some trim adjustments from the helm and the motor lost rpm's and power but didnt shut off. released the trim button and the motor regained rpm's and power. I did this several times with the same results. While at iddle I attempted to trim and again she shut off and wouldnt start. Volts were at 12.6. I swithced to #1 battery and she started with no problem. The boat ran fine on one battery and was charging at between 14 & 14.2 volts. Anytime I trimmed the boat the volts dropped considerably and consistantly the longer I held the button down. Also the trim gauge wouldnt read anything more than one or two bars eventhough the motor would trim all the way up or down. Does this sound like a bad trim motor? this is a 04 with about 190 hours. Any help would be greatly appreciated before I take her to the shop.

this may sound like a not so bright answer, but did youcheck all the battery connections? You most likely did, so the next thing I thought of is to check all the wireing that has anything to do with the tilt/trim motor, from the relay (under the "hood") to the tilt/trim motor, it sounds like you could have a mojor short. let me know, I hve two of the same motors, same year. Look for where the wires rub against anything. or pass through parts, from under the hood to the tilt/trim moter, Etc.

Comment

Toxcity,
      I agree with Dennis on the possibility of a poor connection somewhere. Anytime I have weird electrical problems, the first thing I look for is a bad connection somewhere. The heavy battery cables are prime suspect - both at the battery and at the motor. Also, check your battery switch.
      Aside from poor connections, if your motor is still under warranty, don't do anyting else - let the dealer take care of it.
      Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

Working...
      X