Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

115 Yamaha 2 stroke - Heat Soak starting issue or Vapor Lock ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

soft plastic like Norton Bull minnow (paddle tails) is what I usually throw, but have been catching a lot of flounder on gulp curly tail grubs.
    I fish in shallow water flats along the edges of grass or shell. 6 to 12".
    sight casting to reds. the flounder hang out there too but only see them when they spook and head away).
    I do normally use a small (2 -3" long)cigar shaped cork 12 to 18" above the lead head just to help keep the line on top of the water so I can keep the lure off of the bottom.
    with reds you cannot real it fast enough to keep them from trying to eat even the cork some times, but with flounder we slow the retrieve down so the lure rides just off the bottom
    Flounder fishing is an art. There are a few locals that have spots and techniques but they are very secretive.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

Flounder fishing is an art. There are a few locals that have spots and techniques but they are very secretive.
      what are the size and limit on flounder over there?
      we get to keep 5 per person, 14" & over except for Nov and 1st 2 weeks in Dec (only 2 then and no gigging in nov)
      Red tide did a number on them some years back so I am hoping they have made a come back looking at all the ones everyone was seeing this past year.
      but there is word of stronger regulations coming in 2020.

I would be OK with no gigging com or rec, just rod and reel. but that is just because as I age I do not stay out late at night much anymore.
      use to we could get 25 a night per person. and that is also why the population is down too.
      not sure what the commercial giggers are alowed
      Last edited by 99yam40; 12-11-2019, 11:46 PM.

Comment

we get to keep 5 per person, 14" & over except for Nov and 1st 2 weeks in Dec (only 2 then and no gigging in nov)
        Red tide did a number on them some years back so I am hoping they have made a come back looking at all the ones everyone was seeing this past year.

I would be OK with no gigging com or rec, just rod and reel. but that is just because as I age I do not stay out late at night much anymore.
        use to we could get 25 a night per person. and that is also why the population is down too.
        12” and no limit

Comment

12” and no limit

Comment

I believe the male flounder seldom gets over 13".
            I think that is why they set the size here to 14 so more males would be left to help reproduction.
            that is just from memory, so it may not be right

Comment

Sounds like your fuel pump diaphragm .

Comment

Dries,
                Thanks for the reply.
                I don't follow how it could be the fuel pump diaphragm when: It starts when cold. It starts when hot. It only has trouble starting after running and then sitting. If I run it hard for say 30 minutes and then stop and try a restart right away, it starts right up, no problem. BUT, if I let it sit for say 30 minutes after a run across the water, then it acts like its flooded and won't start OR if it does start, it quits when I put it in gear...unless I put in gear real fast and cram throttle down to get it going.
                So I don't see how it could be fuel pump diaphragm. Am I missing something here ?
                Thanks for your input.

Comment

I dont know much about your specific 115, but in general it sounds like a choke adjustment issue. I chased a gremlin like that on a different engine, tried wrapping fuel likes in insulating tape, etc to prevent what I thought was heat soak. Dont do anything dumb like I did.

If I were you, I'd manually play with the choke a little (do it prior to the first start attempt when its acting up), and see if you can get it to start easy.

It may be over choking, and thats why you need to throttle it 3/4 or so.

Comment

Have you tried pumping the primer bulb when the engine will not start? I don't see that mentioned anywhere.

My suggestion would be to take a small container with you and when this happens open the drain screw on one of the carb bowls and see if you have fuel or not. Probably do this as well when the engine is cold so you will know how much fuel you may expect to see.

Right now you don't know one way or the other if it is lack of fuel or too much.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                      Have you tried pumping the primer bulb when the engine will not start? I don't see that mentioned anywhere.

My suggestion would be to take a small container with you and when this happens open the drain screw on one of the carb bowls and see if you have fuel or not. Probably do this as well when the engine is cold so you will know how much fuel you may expect to see.

Right now you don't know one way or the other if it is lack of fuel or too much.

pansonic...Thanks for the ideas.

Yes, I have tried pumping the primer bulb on many occasions and it does nothing to solve the problem.
                      AND, I am 99% sure that it's getting fuel because it acts like a typical flooded carbureted engine after sitting 30 minutes. (I am old enough to have had the joy of owning old cars that flooded out)

Keep in mind that it starts when cold AND starts with just a tap when HOT,..... Just won't start (or barely starts) when hot AFTER sitting for 30 minutes. (Acts like its flooded)

So something is making it flood out after sitting for 30 minutes.
                      Runs like a bat out of H*** otherwise.
                      Idles fine
                      Midrange fine.

Comment

I would still do what I suggested as a simple test to confirm that there is fuel in the carb bowls and it hasn't boiled off.

You said you replaced the fuel pump a few years ago as preventive maintenance...did this problem start after that?

If the engine is flooded as you say and won't start.... then pulling a couple of plugs and seeing if they are soaked with fuel would confirm this, would it not??? Perhaps you could try this and report back.

Comment

A cracked diaphragm will cause an enriched condition like a flooded engine ......
                          Just as you described .

Comment

Working...
                          X