No announcement yet.

coil or fuel breaking down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=99yam40;n221158]still no info given on the alarm system working as it should.

running at high RPM for a few minutes can cause an overheat where lower RPM will not.
    burning more fuel creates more heat[/QUOTE

The alarm sounds when I pull out the kill switch, as far as the oil tank I have not drained it to see if the alarm sounds, I keep it at least half full or more all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by rejesterd View Post

Did you try replacing the fuel filter? If that doesn't make a difference, I would start taking the carbs apart and making sure they're clean. If pumping the bulb didn't help, then I would say the fuel pump is ok.. and it doesn't seem spark related based on other tests you've done.
      I have not tried replacing the fuel filter, I just installed it back in September so I was guessing it should not be plugged but then again I better check it anyway.

Comment

Can you tell us ALL the information located on the transom bracket data plate? So far we know it is a 50 blue smoke TLR...they made them for quite a few years.

With your description that it instantly drops to 3000 rpm it sounds like it may be going into rpm reduction mode, which is the CDI seeing high temperature or low oil and it starts killing spark to lower the RPM as a warning. BUT the alarm should sound as well when this happens. Is the alarm going off when it happens?

But it may not be this at all. Since it is a quick drop and sometimes quick recovery it seems like lose of spark not fuel. I would look at all electrical connections and chafed wires or lose plugs.

Do you have a proper service manual to guide you through some testing?

Comment

Originally posted by jlslavey View Post

I call it bogging down, I can be running full throttle at 4500 and it will instantly drop down to 3000 and maintain there. Sometimes after a minute or two it will then go back up to the original 4500, but sometimes not.
          Sounds like a spark plug cutting in and out. Might want to replace them, address the basic's first..
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I call it bogging down, I can be running full throttle at 4500 and it will instantly drop down to 3000 and maintain there. Sometimes after a minute or two it will then go back up to the original 4500, but sometimes not.
            OK, if it's happening like someone is is flipping a switch, then that's not fuel. Bogging usually refers to a slower type thing or a rough running type thing, leading one to think of fuel issues. I think someone mentioned it above, but the first thing that comes to mind - especially since it drops to a fixed RPM - is the computer shutting things down because it sees something it doesn't like. It could be as simple as a worn impeller... or it could be something else like clogged cooling passages... or still something else. Hard to say.

BUT... the weird thing is that you're not getting an alarm at the same time???
            2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
            1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

No alarms.New water pump recently. Has a good stream and doesn't seem to be hot. I was thinking something electrical because of how quick it jumps.

Comment

Do you have a "winky blinky"? Someone help me here... would that possible help him? To have it hooked up when the issue is happening?

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

Sounds like a spark plug cutting in and out.
                  It just dawned on me (should have happened earlier... ) Over the summer, my uncle had that same issue with his engine. Going along fine, then all of a sudden would drop to 3,000. Plugs looked good - couldn't figure it out. I was able to manually adjust the "extra cold choke lever" on the engine while we were running to get more RPM's. But that was just a band-aid. On a whim, we replaced the spark plugs and the problem immediately disappeared.

Of course, this is not to say that this is your problem, JL, and I generally just hate throwing parts at a problem HOPING it will fix it... but plugs are cheap and it's not a bad idea to replace them as PM, anyways.

Comment

[QUOTE=jlslavey;n221165]
                    Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                    still no info given on the alarm system working as it should.

running at high RPM for a few minutes can cause an overheat where lower RPM will not.
                    burning more fuel creates more heat[/QUOTE

The alarm sounds when I pull out the kill switch, as far as the oil tank I have not drained it to see if the alarm sounds, I keep it at least half full or more all the time.
                    I would be more concerned with the overheat alarm sounding the buzzer when the problem shows up

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

Sounds like a spark plug cutting in and out. Might want to replace them, address the basic's first..
                      Put new ones in it the first time it happened and still does it.

Comment

[QUOTE=99yam40;n221175]

I would be more concerned with the overheat alarm sounding the buzzer when the problem shows up
                        I don't hear well but my wife was driving and said she heard nothing, and she can hear a flea fart. She has heard the alarm before on another issue when we first bought it.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
                          Do you have a "winky blinky"? Someone help me here... would that possible help him? To have it hooked up when the issue is happening?
                          My friend has a tester that we held up to the coil wire and it blinks red when there is a current, when it slowed down I climbed on the back removed the cover and tested all 3 coil wires and all were carrying a current to the plug.

Comment

Originally posted by DTSmith70 View Post
                            No alarms.New water pump recently. Has a good stream and doesn't seem to be hot. I was thinking something electrical because of how quick it jumps.
                            I put new pump, plugs, and fuel filter in september and even when it slows down I have a real hard stream of water out the pee hole.

Comment

I don't want to say for sure with your engine, but in some (many?) engines, having a good flow from the "tell tale" (pisser) doesn't guarantee good flow through the head.

Google that winky blinky - it might not be a bad tool to have, regardless.

I wonder... are the plug wires carrying ENOUGH current? Just thinking outloud there as I don't really know the answer or a way to check. Someone else probably does, though.

Assuming your alarm system is operational, maybe search around (check a service manual?) for what things can cause a failsafe/drop in RPM without sounding the alarm? Again just thinking outloud there.

Comment

Check your plug caps.

Comment

Working...
                                X