Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel filter recomendations

Aloha all,
    I'm looking for recommendations on add-on fuel filters. I run twin 130s and have had to increasing un-clog the low speed jets. I have the Racor outboard filters with the plastic bowls and I change them out of habit about once a year.

Are there any better filters out there or are the Racor's as good as they get.

Yes, I do run Seafoam about every third fill, but my problem seems to be more particulate as when I shoot through the jet with carb cleaner I get fine brown specks on the rag.

Thanks for any advise.
    Bruce

Bruce,
    With the Racor and the local filter that is attached to the motor, there should not be any trash reaching the carbs.
    If you are letting the motor(s) set up for more than three weeks at a time w/o being run, there could be some formation of gum/varnish in the carbs. Might try running SeaFoam or RingFree all the time.
    Also, there might be a disintegration of one the diaphrams in the fuel pump, and small particles are flaking off and getting to the carbs. Are you running fuel that has ethanol in it? Some owners replace their fuel pumps every five years just as a preventive measure - you might want to.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Hi Ken,
      Thanks for the thoughts on the filters; your probably right that about the gumming as I haven't been going out as often and not cycling the fuel in the boat as frequently. I'll step up the Seafoam to every fill and look into replacing the fuel pumps as they are original (1200 hours)so that makes since as I couldn't figure where I was getting particles from with the filters installed.

Comment

Working...
      X