1998 Yamaha 2 stroke outboard fuel in airbox and fuel coming out of exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 Yamaha 2 stroke outboard fuel in airbox and fuel coming out of exhaust

Burnt way too much fuel actually approximately 13 to 15 gallons in a span of about 4 to 5 MI which is absolutely ridiculous replaced plugs checked water fuel separator and limes had fuel slick behind a boat in bilge never turned on so it's not leaking from tank then I noticed didn't notice big brown bubbles coming out of exhaust as well took air box off and there was probably 4 oz of fuel in the bottom of the airbox please help

Size of the engine, model?

I'd pull the air box, put the engine on muffs and check for fuel flowing out the carbs...

Squeezing the primer bulb alone may show a fuel leak in the area of the carbs.

Sounds like a float stuck open allowing fuel to pour into the engine or a leaky/bad fuel line.

One cylinder is likely soaked with fuel (running rough) and the spark plug would be black from the excess fuel (to help narrow down which carb).
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

check fuel pump also,
      but that would leak into the crankcase not out of the carbs if this motor has carbs

Comment

Couldn't show it in a picture or video but there was Big Brown bubbles coming out of exhaust had the cowling off while in the water could not visibly see anywhere fuel was coming out

Comment

we still have no idea what motor we are talking about

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            we still have no idea what motor we are talking about
            Plus one ^^^^. What engine do you have?

Your brown bubbles are very likely some of the excess fuel getting sucked into the engine and eventually out the exhaust.

Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

They say 1998 Yamaha 90 horsepower 2 stroke outboard

Comment

I'm sorry about last post it is not they say it is a 1998 Yamaha 90 horsepower 2-stroke outboard

Comment

Originally posted by Reelyknotty View Post
                  I'm sorry about last post it is not they say it is a 1998 Yamaha 90 horsepower 2-stroke outboard
                  Couple model numbers that year. Which one?
                  Who is “they”?

Comment

Originally posted by Reelyknotty View Post
                    Burnt way too much fuel actually approximately 13 to 15 gallons in a span of about 4 to 5 MI which is absolutely ridiculous replaced plugs checked water fuel separator and limes had fuel slick behind a boat in bilge never turned on so it's not leaking from tank then I noticed didn't notice big brown bubbles coming out of exhaust as well took air box off and there was probably 4 oz of fuel in the bottom of the airbox please help
                    I have an idea to pass along, but first, can you please redo this? It's really hard to read. Please go back through and add appropriate punctuation and proofread. I just want to make sure I'm completely understanding you.

And, same question as the others... for clarification, what's the model number?
                    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

they all have the same carb set up, so post #2 should cover what is happening.
                      if fuel is getting into the silencer(air box) it has to be coming out of a carb or a leaking fuel line

Comment

Working...
                      X