Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

would a dead (drain out from *****ing motor) battery cause ECM to STOP sending data ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would a dead (drain out from *****ing motor) battery cause ECM to STOP sending data ?

Please help!
    would a dead (drain out from *****ing motor) battery cause ECM (electric control module) to STOP sending data and need to be reset by Yamaha dealer?) - CAN (control area network) Bus questions.
    My Raymarine Axiom 9" RV100 3d fishfinder stopped displaying because I suspect my 2019 F70 Yamaha 70 hp ECM stopped sending signals due to my exhaust battery. Am I right that I need Yamaha dealer to reset the ECM (Electric control module) on the engine? I was told Dealer charge half an hour labor to hook it up to their CAN diagnostic tool to troubleshoot it.
    My CL multi-hub and NMEA 2000 backbone are both getting power.
    Thanks.
    Captain steve - 1974 wellcraft airslot 165 with 2019 Yamaha 70

I haven't heard of dealers resetting ECMs. I've only heard of them being replaced when they get damaged.

Maybe doing a factory-reset on your NMEA 2000 gateway (or on the other devices involved) would help.

Did you run the engine without the battery connected at all? If so, that might warrant the 1/2 hour of labor for them to inspect the ECM.
    2011 F50TLR, 2010 G3 V167C

Comment

No. I don’t think i crank the motor without battery connected. My last trip I forgot to tilt it down into the water after launching it from the trailer and I cranked the key once only while the motor was up and out of the water.
      i couldn’t start the motor, and I realized I quickly tilt it down into the water but i still couldn’t start. I switched the battery to a 35 amh battery from my 60 pounds old battery, and the motor started but the Axiom didn’t get any RPM at all. Not sure if that cause ECM to go bad. I thought water pump may go bad but no water pump was ok even after i ran the motor for 4 hours in the bay that day.

Comment

No. I don’t think i crank the motor without battery connected. My last trip I forgot to tilt it down into the water after launching it from the trailer and I cranked the key once only while the motor was up and out of the water.
        i couldn’t start the motor, and I realized I quickly tilt it down into the water but i still couldn’t start. I switched the battery to a 35 amh battery from my 60 pounds old battery, and the motor started but the Axiom didn’t get any RPM at all. Not sure if that cause ECM to go bad. I thought water pump may go bad but no water pump was ok even after i ran the motor for 4 hours in the bay that day.

Comment

I will ask dealership to see if they can do a reset on the Yamaha Gateway if there is such a thing. I have disconnected my Yamaha Gateway for 24 hours to try resetting it already but still no luck.

Comment

Unbelievable. My dealer told me MY outbound ECU was sending engine data to motor #3, so they reset it to #1 and it worked. Gauge starts to display engine data.

i am fighting with Yamaha Warranty for the 2 hours labor ($270) my dealer charge me.

I have a small 17 feet boat with only ONE outboard, never had 3 motors on my tiny boat so the ECU is at fault here!

unbelievable!!!

Comment

Working...
            X