Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 20Hp tiller to console conversion

Hi all.
    First post but been reading here for a while. Some great info.
    The outboard i have is a 2006 2stroke 20DMH (model 6L3K) - is "oldish" but well looked after and looks like and runs like new - still first time soft pull from cold start after sitting for weeks.
    I'm over the tiller steer and would like to do the console conversion. I know its costly, but !!! - and i have looked at selling this one and buying a 25HP (tinny is 3.95m rated to 25 - but i'm happy with the 20HP) with all ready to go fittings (difficult to find good used & i cant justify the expense of a fully new unit).
    I know this motor is perfectly OK, mechanically, hence figured better the devil you know.
    So, would greatly appreciate any help / clarification from you guys on few things.

Currently is pull start, no tilt / trim. I don't charge battery for sounders / lights etc from outboard - i just charge at home.
    I'm thinking of adding a small solar unit to top up or a larger one if i go to a *****ing motor i'm considering - but that's another story.I can a spot light from the 2 pin outlet.

At this stage i am happy to leave as a pull start.
    * I have found a steering kit with teleflex etc, so i think ok that component and can get a console built cheap enough.
    * I believe i need the 701 throttle / gear unit - but cant find any reference anywhere as to needing a push or pull version - i see they changed late 90's, but nothing i read is clear. (i'm thinking push ??).
    * Could i also go with the 703 & just not have the start / tilt etc connected and run the 703 as a simpler 701, so that if i ever decide to put on the electrics, then its all ready to go. (any drams's there?).
    * Then i'm confused by the 7 & 10Pin versions. I'm thinking i don't actually need any of that - again - what could i need for a "possible" future as per above.
    * How do i connect into the kill switch - i was thinking i could use a pull wire inside a flexy tube running to the console - this could attach to the lanyard at motor - and then that allows for the "key" to be "pulled" free from either position if required.
    * Any one have a pic / several pics of how all the cables / linkages looks when set up at the outboard - Dr Google seems lacking there - plenty on other brands.
    * Will everything - ie: choke / throttle start position / pull start / idle, gears etc - all still work normally from tiller arm? - eg: i'm thinking when shallow drive engaged and reverse gear needed running from tiller seat position. etc).

I'm reasonably mechanically minded, but i feel i am missing something obvious here - so any help much appreciated.
    Many Thanks
    Sam.

I have never tried this on a Yamaha, so does this motor have a place for the steering cable to go thru and then hook up to the motor?

I did convert a 25 Evinrude back in the day, had to find a bracket to hold the cable and then hook the end up to the motor.
    still used the push to start button on the motor and the kill button on the motor, just set up remote steering. but then it was an electric start motor

Comment

Working...
    X