carb cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb cleaning

I recently purchased a boat with a 2000 115 yamaha with very low hours. It has sat for three years without being started. I drained all fuel and flushed carbs and lines with fresh fuel. Motor starts and runs well but will not idle without throttle. Any ways to correct this condition without pulling carbs? Are base and bowl gaskets available without purchasing complete kit?

jonesy,
    Having set up for that long, there is going to be gum/varnish in the carbs. You could try a shock treatment with RingFree or SeaFoam, and pull the pilot screws and try to squirt some carb cleaner into the orifices. In fact, pull all the jets and squirt the carb cleaner as good as you can.
    But even if you can get the motor to idle ok for now, more gum/varnish may break loose later and give you problems - I would tear those carbs down and install a kit and be done with it.
    After you do get the carbs in shape, try to run the motor once a week, even if it's just on the driveway with the earmuffs and garden hose. In the off season, if this is not practical, then follow the owner's manual for winter storage.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Working...
    X