re voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bajakeith View Post
    As a Master marine Tech and marine electrican..The most electrical problems I see day in and day out are deep clycle batts on outboards..NO,,NO,,NOT good and don't ever,ever use a OpTIMO !!!! replaceing a stator on a oxxy 250 Thursday from being run on a deep clycle batt ..I have a lot of CDI test tools and talk to "Clark" the service tech guy on a regular basis about electrical systems and we both agree that this is the biggest outboard miss conception there is !!! read your owners manual and or the service book !! and please don't reply with a reply about billy bob said it was fine to run a D.C. batt.....FACT...Btw CDI electronics..makes all the replacement electrical (& upgrades) for outboards...so, ya think they might know what were talking about....DUH !!!
    Can you explain why?

Comment

Originally posted by tmann45 View Post
      Can you explain why?
      I am waiting for the answer as well.

The OX66 has an optional isolator lead to charge a "house" battery. Most house battery types are deep cycle types given the usage of the battery.

I am pretty familiar with Yamaha stuff and don't recall ever hearing Yamaha USA saying not to use a deep cycle battery as a house battery.

Now once upon a time Yamaha poo poo'd the use of AGM batteries. They have since changed their minds and say that it is perfectly fine to use one.

Comment

never had any issues charging any lead acid batteries.
        I can tell you over the pst 15 years or so about 2 battey fires and about 8 other melted batteries all with V6 yamaha either with OX66 or HPDI.
        that's simply a fact.
        I rewired the two and replaced the melted batteries and trays on the others.
        all were optima's.

Comment

Originally posted by bajakeith View Post
          As a Master marine Tech and marine electrican..The most electrical problems I see day in and day out are deep clycle batts on outboards..NO,,NO,,NOT good and don't ever,ever use a OpTIMO !!!! replaceing a stator on a oxxy 250 Thursday from being run on a deep clycle batt ..I have a lot of CDI test tools and talk to "Clark" the service tech guy on a regular basis about electrical systems and we both agree that this is the biggest outboard miss conception there is !!! read your owners manual and or the service book !! and please don't reply with a reply about billy bob said it was fine to run a D.C. batt.....FACT...Btw CDI electronics..makes all the replacement electrical (& upgrades) for outboards...so, ya think they might know what were talking about....DUH !!!

so drumming up this old thread...

using DC batteries for starting is a no no?
          02 Sea Hunt Triton 172
          02 Yamaha 90HP O/B

Comment

everyone has one ,

an opinion

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDawg3 View Post

Absolutely. Positively. Maybe. Maybe not. Depends.

My experience has been that a deep cycle, if of the appropriate size and with the appropriate output, can be used to successfully start a motor. In my case I used a Delco AC Voyager (maintenance free flooded lead acid type) to start first my Mercury 175 EFI and then my Yamaha F200 when I repowered the boat. No problemo.

Yamaha wants folks to use what they know will work successfully for everyone, all of the time. So, they may very well recommend a starting type of battery be used to start the motor for this reason. Battery technology is changing all of the time. They don't have time to try each and every type of battery that comes down the pike with each and every type of motor they produce to determine what works and what does not work.

In my case I measured the current draw of the starter motor. It was approximately 175 amps. According to the maker of my battery the battery had an MCA (Marine Cranking Amp) higher than this value. So, I gave the deep cycle battery a try. Worked just fine. For me. Will it work just fine for everyone at every time? Can't say.

Shame on me twice. I also used a Racor two micron fuel filter which according to Yamaha might cause a problem. In my case it did not. Worked just fine. I plumbed a vacuum gauge into the fuel system at the Racor filter head and never came close to the Yamaha specification for a restriction to fuel system flow.

Do I say that anyone else can use a deep cycle battery to start their motor or use a Racor two micron filter to filter their gasoline? Nope. Can't do it. I can only state what works for me. Anyone else will have to do their own testing if and when they decide to not follow Yamaha's recommendations.

Some one will more than likely be along to say that a deep cycle battery would not start his motor or that his motor would not run correctly with a two micron filter installed. To him/her I would say don't use that type of battery or that type of filter.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                everyone has one ,

an opinion
                All opinions are equal. Just that some are more equal than others.

Comment

NO!

filler to satisfy the forum computer

NO!

Comment

NO!

filler to satisfy the forum computer

NO!
                    no what? no don`t use them, or No the info is false?

and if No don`t use them, WHY is the ???
                    02 Sea Hunt Triton 172
                    02 Yamaha 90HP O/B

Comment

no what? no don`t use them, or No the info is false?

and if No don`t use them, WHY is the ???
                      Take your pick. If I may quote another, "All opinions are equal. Just that some are more equal than others."

I suggest you read the article "Understanding Batteries" at the bottom of the link in his other post: Avoid over-voltage issues with CDI’s Regulated Rectifiers Click on the article to open the whole thing.

Great article for a battery discussion.

Comment

Take your pick. If I may quote another, "All opinions are equal. Just that some are more equal than others."

I suggest you read the article "Understanding Batteries" at the bottom of the link in his other post: Avoid over-voltage issues with CDI’s Regulated Rectifiers Click on the article to open the whole thing.

Great article for a battery discussion.
                        agreed, that is a good article, but no where does it state to NOT use a DC type battery. the article just states which one is recommended for it`s proper use...

many many many boats have single DC batteries doing it all...

I headed to the internet chatter and bought a new Starting battery with more capacity and Bam, 16V+ charging...

I`ve read where as the battery heats up seeing 16-18V is not unusual in an unregulated system whereas adding a second battery in parallel will bring down the overcharge. as will turning on the Nav lights...

I have a very simple regulated late model carb`d 2 stroke mid sized engine...

and still have not found why the voltage is 16+ just with installing a brand new Starting battery...
                        02 Sea Hunt Triton 172
                        02 Yamaha 90HP O/B

Comment

so I`m still waiting to hear fact as to WHY not to run a DC battery as main battery.

not opinion, not bc my cousins fathers sisters mothers uncle says he used a DC bat in his duck boat...

what are the facts. Someone stated they had proof from certified yamaha techs, ok, lets hear them?
                          02 Sea Hunt Triton 172
                          02 Yamaha 90HP O/B

Comment

here's a page with a great deal of info

(which FWIW seems reliable to me)

Deep Cycle Battery FAQ, Marine, and Deep-Cycle Batteries

"Deep Cycle Battery as a Starting Battery:
                            There is generally no problem with this, providing that allowance is made for the lower cranking amps compared to a similar size starting battery. "

Comment

thanks and that is convincing.
                              but a statement was made with absolute. I wish that poster would reply to divulge exactly why/what are the No No No`s about it, since they seem to be in the know...
                              02 Sea Hunt Triton 172
                              02 Yamaha 90HP O/B

Comment

thanks and that is convincing.
                                but a statement was made with absolute. I wish that poster would reply to divulge exactly why/what are the No No No`s about it, since they seem to be in the know...
                                Agree, without giving a particular reason this becomes a poll with insufficient reflection of the community opinion as a whole.
                                The problem also is that often a complaint about a particular "so and so", is that it becomes outdated quickly. It's like saying I will never by another Ford because my great grandfather could only get his Model T Ford in black, and I don't like black.

Comment

Working...
                                X