Shift cam assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift cam assembly

With my lower unit off ,can I manually ,with my hand, move the shift cam assembly from forward to reverse.?

Probably not with your hand, unless you remove the gear case housing as well (which you should not do simply to move the shift cam). You can buy a special wrench that will grip the splines on the shift shaft, but why do you want to move it in forward or reverse with the lower unit off? These twisting cam styles don't easily pop out of neutral, so I've had the best luck by keeping it in neutral when I remove the lower unit.
    2011 F50TLR, 2010 G3 V167C

Comment

we do not know what motor you are talking about?
      some were push pull and others twist to change gears in lower unit.

but then you cannot shift with just grabbing the shift shaft with your fingers to move thru the gears

Comment

Originally posted by dpantiliano View Post
        With my lower unit off ,can I manually ,with my hand, move the shift cam assembly from forward to reverse.?
        Can you? Yes. Absolutely positively.

But why in the world would you want to?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

but then you cannot shift with just grabbing the shift shaft with your fingers to move thru the gears
          Thank you, I was just wondering if it was normal not to be able to move the shift Cam spleen

Comment

Originally posted by rejesterd View Post
            Probably not with your hand, unless you remove the gear case housing as well (which you should not do simply to move the shift cam). You can buy a special wrench that will grip the splines on the shift shaft, but why do you want to move it in forward or reverse with the lower unit off? These twisting cam styles don't easily pop out of neutral, so I've had the best luck by keeping it in neutral when I remove the lower unit.
            Thank you, I was just wondering if it was normal not to be able to move the shift Cam spleen,

You've been very helpful

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

Thank you, I was just wondering if it was normal not to be able to move the shift Cam spleen

Once again thank you and you've been very helpful

Comment

Working...
              X