No announcement yet.

Cant tilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

have you tried putting a jack under the lower unit to help lift.
    or maybe rig up an A frame and chain hoist to lift/ tilt motor?

if it came down with no resistance I would think it should go back up.
    but if it will not, I would try turning that screw thru the side mounting bracket to see if that helps

Comment

Mechanic stopped by while enroute to his last shrinkwrap of the day. He had the motor up before I got my shoes on to come out to him. Short story long he said I hadn't turned the screw enough. I mentioned I went until as far as I could. Apparantly there was more to go. We'll deal with it all in the spring! Thanks for alll the help.

Comment

well at least some good news,
        but you still need to find out why the T&T motor does not run when the relay is operated

by the way I just replaced my T&T relay with a non Yamaha one( aftermarket one) for $35 not the $185
        Last edited by 99yam40; 11-02-2019, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Relays can, and do, malfunction where they will still audibly click, yet the contacts on the inside are so far gone that they're not making enough contact to pass the amount of amperage needed to run the tilt motor.

-- Check the fluid level. Maybe it's OK, and you were just confused with the bypass/relief screw.
          -- If good, bypass the relay and see if the motor functions normally. Blue is up, green is down.
          -- If successful, replace the relay and go boating.
          2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
          1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

This highlights the importance of maintaining the power tilt and trim system at its most reliable state. The location of where it is (tucked in between brackets and under and then behind the engine makes it impossible to fill or to detach in someway.

It is always a gamble when lowering an engine with a "faulty" T/T unit, not knowing whether you can raise it again.

I suspect many have (I have) been caught out with a motor stuck down, and then not being able to trailer it somewhere.

The only other way to reduce the engine height for safe clearance would be to unbolt the lower leg.

Good luck with that as you would need to dig a very deep hole, or jack up the boat (trailer) incredibly high, or be able to push safely over to handy edge to do this.

If boat is in the water you can unbolt with a considerably high degree of difficulty, and then push to deep water to extract the lower leg! - a possible another good reason to have underwater goggles and snorkel at hand!

Comment

A pic of a relay that "clicked" but with internally burnt out contacts:

The actual contact points "arced up"...

Now, if you can hotwire / bypass the relay and the T&T works properly at the engine, your relay is likely toast..
              Mine, the above pics, burnt out with less than 200 hours on them..
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                A pic of a relay that "clicked" but with internally burnt out contacts:

The actual contact points "arced up"...

Now, if you can hotwire / bypass the relay and the T&T works properly at the engine, your relay is likely toast..
                Mine, the above pics, burnt out with less than 200 hours on them..
                I do not see the other side contact parts in your pics

One side carries the + when picked up,
                and the other carries the - in the resting position

at least mine had springs and some other contacts in there

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

I do not see the other side contact parts in your pics

One side carries the + when picked up,
                  and the other carries the - in the resting position

at least mine had springs and some other contacts in there
                  Springs (pushing apart), were in the center of the black, main part, where the recess is (dead center).
                  Scott

Comment

yes, and there were some additional contacts too in mine.
                    you can see where the studs and the 2 other pieces were making contact in 2 places each, but on the other remaining pieces in the top there were other contact making up to them.

it is a shame they make the relay so you can take it apart, but the wiring connection to the coils cannot be put back together to make it work again

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                      yes, and there were some additional contacts too in mine.
                      you can see where the studs and the 2 other pieces were making contact in 2 places each, but on the other remaining pieces in the top there were other contact making up to them.

it is a shame they make the relay so you can take it apart, but the wiring connection to the coils cannot be put back together to make it work again
                      Mine was not designed to come apart. My problem was tilt DOWN wasn't working occasionally.

The housing is very heavy duty and glued / melted / ? together.

It took easily 15 minutes to cut / pry it apart... I already replaced it with a new one and wanted to see what failed and how it worked..

*Thread de-rail.
                      Yesterday I drained my fuel tank of about 21 gallons as part of it was about two years old (engine still running fine).
                      As noted earlier, I use K100 regularly and RF. The fuel came out looking brand new, smelling fine and no cloudiness either. It'll be used in my Four Runner, yard machines, etc. I drained it as my F150 is somewhat finicky, just preventive "maintenance" to eliminate future fueling issues

I just didn't want to add new fuel to some much older fuel- " A fresh start" you might say...
                      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-04-2019, 08:20 AM.
                      Scott

Comment

Working...
                      X