Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would 2019 Yamaha shutdown when disconnected from starting battery when running?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would 2019 Yamaha shutdown when disconnected from starting battery when running?

Would 2019 Yamaha 70 hp (F70) shutdown (stopped running) when disconnected from starting battery when running?
    i wanted switch to a less charged battery (spare) after i started F70 outboard using the main battery. But, the running motor stopped? This would not happen for older outboard (my 1982 Johnson 90). Is this right? I didn’t think my F70 should stopped running when disconnected from battery.
    Thanks for your help!
    Captain steve - 1974 wellcraft airslot 165 with 2019 Yamaha 70

bad connections on a battery can and will fry the RR.
    even on newer cars/ trucks it is a no no to do that
    electric fuel pumps, injectors, and ignition running off of the 12 volts , it sounds like a bad idea to disconnect a battery
    Last edited by 99yam40; 10-31-2019, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Maybe just turn motor off, switch batteries and restart the motor?

Comment

Connect the drained battery to the engine. Use jumper cables from the good battery to the drained battery.
        2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
        1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

I am thinking charging the drained battery and then testing it before hooking it up to a motor I the best thing to do.
          new motor, so do not do something that might hurt it

Comment

You can pull-start it in an emergency, but it won't run if you disconnect the battery. It protects the rectifier/regulator. If you want the running engine to charge the weak battery, then do what Dennis said. However, the owner's manual warns that a battery below 9V won't allow the electric fuel pump to run. So it can't be too weak if you do it.
            Last edited by rejesterd; 10-31-2019, 07:54 PM.
            2011 F50TLR, 2010 G3 V167C

Comment

Originally posted by Yamaha18 View Post
              Would 2019 Yamaha 70 hp (F70) shutdown (stopped running) when disconnected from starting battery when running?
              i wanted switch to a less charged battery (spare) after i started F70 outboard using the main battery. But, the running motor stopped? This would not happen for older outboard (my 1982 Johnson 90). Is this right? I didn’t think my F70 should stopped running when disconnected from battery.
              Thanks for your help!
              Your F70 uses a completely different ignition system than your 1982 Johnson 90 HP used. The F70 uses a battery to power the ignition system. Just like your automobile does. Your Johnson uses a magneto under the flywheel for its ignition system. Just like a push lawn mower uses.

Disconnect the battery and it will do just what you saw. Stop running.

If you have two batteries, one charged and one dead, use the charged battery to start the motor. Once the motor is up and running simply connect the good battery to the dead battery. The dead battery will now be charged by the motor.

Comment

Boscoe is alive and kicking,
                I thought you may have followed Rodbolt somewhere

Comment

Nope. Still around. How's you?

Comment

I am hanging in there and doing well .
                    thought you headed south for a vacation again.

probably not enough going on here to keep you interested

Comment

Thank you for elaborating the difference. Amazing new technology. Kudos to outboard engineers.
                      I like the car illustration. I will invest in a new battery to rid the problem once and for all. No time to mess around the petty things, so more time to go enjoy boating and fishing.

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

Your F70 uses a completely different ignition system than your 1982 Johnson 90 HP used. The F70 uses a battery to power the ignition system. Just like your automobile does. Your Johnson uses a magneto under the flywheel for its ignition system. Just like a push lawn mower uses.

Disconnect the battery and it will do just what you saw. Stop running.

If you have two batteries, one charged and one dead, use the charged battery to start the motor. Once the motor is up and running simply connect the good battery to the dead battery. The dead battery will now be charged by the motor.
                      Captain steve - 1974 wellcraft airslot 165 with 2019 Yamaha 70

Comment

Working...
                      X