2008 25 hp esh won't lock in forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 25 hp esh won't lock in forward

Motor kicks up when I let off the throttle in forward. I just bought this used and never had a motor do this before.

I think this is your engine, please clarify (2 stroke): https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...0408/bracket-2

Seems part #20 is the lock down assembly.. Do you have all the associated parts shown?
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Not supposed to lock down in forward just in reverse.

Comment

Yes all parts seem to be there. If it doesn't lock in forward, then what keeps the motor from kicking up if I let off quickly? Or is it designed this way?

Comment

What exactly do you mean that it is kicking up? Is it popping the prop out of the water or just coming up a bit?

My tiller 20hp does not do that. It has the option of being locked down in fwd...but I never use it like that , I always have it unlocked in case I may hit something. It is a different model than yours.

If the parts diagram above is your motor then it looks like it only locks down when in reverse.

Comment

It will come up enough that I can see the prop while sitting. I have this motor on a 1448 aluminum boat with a cmc trim plate. I have never had a motor that didn't lock in place

Comment

have you ever hit a log, sandbar,oyster reef,,etc.., with a motor locked down?
              the motor does not kick up and the boat comes to a quick halt, throwing people or other loose objects forward or out of the boat

Comment

does the motor stay up and you have to let it back down by hand?
                or does it go back down all by itself?
                I would think not locked down would be safer either way

Comment

Yes, it should NOT be locked down in forward. As mentioned, it's designed that way so it WILL kick up if you hit something. Just let off the throttle more gradually and it shouldn't be a problem.

Where your other engines older engines? I have an '82 Evinrude that when in the "run" position (as opposed to "tilt") it will be locked regardless of FWD or REV. I think that's before manufacturers started putting some thought into an auto-lock setup based on gear selection. I usually just keep that Evinrude in the "tilt" position - mild to medium reverse throttle isn't enough to lift it.
                  Last edited by DennisG01; 10-28-2019, 09:19 AM.
                  2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                  1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Working...
                  X