Excessive Growth on "Handlebar" (bracket) anode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excessive Growth on "Handlebar" (bracket) anode

The engine (in case my signature isn't visible) is a 2000 OX66 250HP. It's on a fiberglass boat that sits in the water for about 5 months on the coast of Maine. I have been using the Yamaha brand (aluminum) anode. I've had the boat for 4 years and every year there is an excessive amount of growth on the anode... mussels, weeds, and some weird cylindrical type things/creatures. There is a small amount of growth on the bracket, itself, but nothing out of the oridinary there - except that the only place there is growth on the bracket is also immediately around the anode. The anode, by far, is apparently a magnet for this growth.

I am positive that the anode and it's screws are making good contact with the bracket. No part of the mating surfaces are painted. The SS bonding wires are in good condition. There is no pitting or corrosion of any of the metal that is in the water.

Does anyone else (that moors a boat) see this type of thing? I'm contemplating trying a zinc anode next year.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

I guess what I'm seeing is not very common?

Or... this may have just been a shameless "bump"...

Comment

A pic of the growth or better description of it might help others understand what you are talking about.
      my thoughts on growth is marine organisms.

and I had no idea that 250 motor had handlebars much less them sitting in the water
      Last edited by 99yam40; 10-30-2019, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Thanks for responding, Yam. I know, funny name for an anode - but I guess that's what it looks like. I had no idea what it is "really" called, but I saw it referenced a few times as handlebar... so I rolled with it...

Unfortunately, I didn't think to take a picture before I pressure washed it off. But, yes, it is marine growth. I'm not sure I can better describe it, compared to above, but it probably 80% to 90% covered with the various things. The mussels were off the port/stbd sides of the anode and the other "stuff" was all over the middle.

I guess the main question, regardless of "type of marine growth", is whether others have some type of marine growth or not, and how much of the anode is covered?

Comment

I would think any exposed metal that was not covered with antifouling paint would collect marine growth when sitting in the water for months at a time.
          more so in the warmer water.

Hope you get some responces, but I would be checking with the people around your area that moore their boats like you do.
          I am of no help on this and most of the people I know trailer their boats or have them on lifts to keep this kind of studd from happening

the ones that do keep them in the water have to pull them out and clean the hulls and repaint with the good stuff to keep the growth at bay.
          Plus they replace their anodes often as they tend to go away

Comment

I keep mine in the water for up to a few weeks at a time,
            but not continuously.

the antifouling paint seems to completely prevent the green / brown algae from growing
            but not the critters that make barnacles and other coral-like deposits.

In the photo below,
            personally I don't see much difference between the "bottom painted" bracket / tilt& trim parts
            and the bare anode

Comment

That makes sense - checking with other locals. Good point. The anode doesn't get eaten away very quickly, at all. But then, the water in Maine is colder and there's really very little engine metal in the water - so the anode doesn't have a "big job" to do.

Scott, that's odd that you're getting barnacles growing on anti-fouled areas? What type of anti-foul are you using? Is it freshly applied or really old? I use Pettit Hydrocoat Eco (on both the hull and the engine bracket) and I don't get any barnacles.

Comment

Working...
              X