2006 Yamaha 150 4 stroke swivel tube problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Yamaha 150 4 stroke swivel tube problems

I’m having issue with my twin 2006 Yamaha 150 4 strokes. My swivel tubes on both motors seemed to have hardened grease from previous owner not using the correct grease or not maintaining properly.

I can’t seem to get grease out of the top bushings.

Im going to post some photos of what is going on.

i believe the grease is coming out the bottom but not out of the top bushing.

I’ve replace all hydraulics (helm, lines, ram). I’ve also paid a mechanic multiple hours to heat up the swivel tube with no luck.

Please to God help me! I’ve been dealing with this too long. My next guess will be drilling new zerk fittings in the top portion of swivel tube to try go get grease to the top.

I’ve also had suggestions to hold a old tshirt around the bottom bushing to help push up the new grease, however the grease seems to be coming from somewhere else not bottom bushing.

please please help like seriously

Maybe remove the zerk and blow air pressure into that hole to move the Old/hard/stuck grease out?....

Comment

sounds like a dismantle will be needed, which will suck the money.
      and who knows what will and what will not come a part

Comment

Are the upper swivel bearings going bad?...I mean, are you sure you even have a problem?.....maybe remove zerk and pump some type of solvent in there to loosen old grease?

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
          Are the upper swivel bearings going bad?...I mean, are you sure you even have a problem?.....maybe remove zerk and pump some type of solvent in there to loosen old grease?
          We’ve tried to get people to try the solvent. Maybe this OP will give it a go. May take awhile and be messy but only a few bucks. Use a bug sprayer. Paint thinner is cheap. Report back...

Comment

To elaborate on this: "I’ve also had suggestions to hold a old tshirt around the bottom bushing to help push up the new grease, however the grease seems to be coming from somewhere else not bottom bushing."

I started having the same issues on my F150.. What I did was to wrap a thinnish rag(long), around the area where grease WAS EXITING and pull the rag tightly (might need another set of hands). Then, with a REALLY GOOD grease gun and a tight fitting nozzle, that doesn't leak, pump grease into the unit.. With any luck, it should (maybe), push out of the clogged area...

A heat gun may help loosen the old grease.

A solvent, as noted above was recommended to another member but he never posted back if it worked.. Pull the zerk fitting and shooting some brake cleaner down into the orifice may help, certainly can't hurt to try..

BTW, after that ordeal, those fittings get a shot of grease after every outing, no more issues and only takes a minute or so..
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
            X